SteamPunk NAS

• Merry Christmas,

I just want to introduce myself with my first NAS project.
    The goal was to build a NAS system for RPG´s to store data, hints and files on it.
    As well as music and movies.
    I used some parts from older computers.

Intel Motherboard 1,2 GHz
    1 GB RAM
    100MBit LAN
    SATA controller for four drives
    4 x 500 GByte HDD as RAID 5
    2 GByte CF - Karte in CF/IDE Adapter

The 128 MB CF card is a test card to check the system.

The meter shows +5V and +12V controlled by the switch on the front

The HDD´s where mounted und rubber bumper outside the case.

The power supply was equipped with a new fan blowing from the bottom to the top of the case.
    The speed of the fan is controlled by the MB.

The front cabling

The SATA cables and the power cables for the HDD´s are running trough the bottom plate.

With kind regards,

Horatius

• It looks great. I think you could use the analog meter in front for other uses, exept measuring voltage... Maybe somethink like this

Code
    http://hackaday.com/2010/11/24/building-a-bandwidth-meter/
  • Thank you for the hints.
    I found a tutorial which says to use a CF.
    The final installation is on a TRANSCEND industrial 2GB CF.
    My opinion is, that there is no different between an industrial card and a SSD. ??
    I hope this is OK if not I am going to replace it.

With kind regards,

Horatius

• That tutorial is old. Experience and time has altered our views on any type of flash media for OMV. You've invested a lot of time on your project. Please take my warning seriously and use a small laptop drive (black Western Digital) or small ssd (Crucial or Intel).

PS- I see your dilemma. (IDE) There is a link to a drive in this forum thay may work. If you have to use IDE you should contact forum member fpabernard.
    He was having some success with the following. I would ask him if it is still working for him.

http://www.amazon.de/DELOCK-Fl…F8&qid=1356615941&sr=8-52

http://www.amazon.de/Delock-Fl…F8&qid=1356615158&sr=8-47

PPS- Try to maximize your ram to minimize swap usage. On older motherboards I've thought about sticking in a usb stick and moving the swap from the system drive (flash disk) to the usb stick. This is what I'd try out of curiosity. I have not tested though, no need. Over time the usb sticks will cost you more then it's worth.

PPS- If it were me, I would try to buy an old model 2.5 inch ide laptop hard drive and rig it up.

• Good Morning,

after browsing around a bit regarding the use of CF as HDD, and the use of "industrial" CF as well I decided to follow your advice. :)
    I bought and installed a SSD - Disk (8GByte) that fits inside the IDE Port.

Thank you!

With kind regards,

Horatius

• Can you post the model and manufacturer ? I still looking for a SSD device capable of holding the OS only without the requirement to install it in the optical drive bay of my N40L. But it must be a good solution, as the solution for now is running without a problem.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• This looks nice for an N40L.

KingSpec SSD 32GB USB Stick

Anyone has an idea if this is more like a real SSD with wear level etc. pp? Could not find to much information on the web

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!