Plex Media Server Plugin: no autostart

• Hi,

i got a little problem with the plex media server plugin... after installation plex media server worked very well, but a few weeks ago it stopped being started at boot...omv services shows the red dot and the only way to start pms is via /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver start or service plexmediaserver start....

I reactivated the plugin, did a lot of reboots, invoked update-rc.d plexmediaserver defaults...but it wont start at boot up....

Any ideas?

Thx a lot!
    Xile

• Try this:

update-rc.d -f plexmediaserver remove
    update-rc.d plexmediaserver defaults
    service plexmediaserver start

If it does not start tell me what it says.

• I had a similar problem - sometimes start Plex Media Server (PMS) on boot, sometimes not.

I write a small script:

The script is a cron job on start up. It checks after 20 seconds whether PMS running or not and start it if necessary.
    The script write a Logfile with date and time.

This works well for me.

Server (own building in February 2015): ASROCK Q1900-ITX - Intel Celeron J1900 - RAM 4GB Micron CT515264BF160B - 16GB SSD Kingston SS050S216G for system OMV 4.1.x (Arrakis)
    - 2x2TB HDD Seagate ST2000VN00 3,5" in RAID 1 for data
    Homeland: Germany
    favorites Plugins: Plex Media Server - Transmission - Autoshutdown - Rsync - USBBackup

• I don't think this script is a good idea. It is better to get to the bottom of why it is not starting at boot. In most circumstances where it will not start at boot it will not start by simply running "/etc/init.d/plexmediaserver restart".

• invoked all commands above... last one starts pms normally..but no start of pms at boot :(

• I had a similar problem - sometimes start Plex Media Server (PMS) on boot, sometimes not.

I write a small script:
    Shell-Script (11 Zeilen)

The script is a cron job on start up. It checks after 20 seconds whether PMS running or not and start it if…

Worked for me... thx a lot!

• A friend of mine also is having this problem - since he switched to an SSD! I wrote him a similar script as the one above (just a timeout for the start of plex) and now it works as expected.

• I've had this problem several times, and you deal with issues like this not with just Plex. But if you guys are happy like this....

There is always a reason for this type of behavior.

• tekkb: you're right, but how to find out whats getting wrong? Omv log says: Starting plex media Server... Done! Invoking the script manually works as expected... Where to look for the error?

• I've had this problem several times, and you deal with issues like this not with just Plex. But if you guys are happy like this....

I had the problem with different versions of PMS and OMV - since my server run (Feb. 2015). All updates of Plex or OMV changed not the situation - even a complete new install of OMV changed nothing.

Zitat von Xile

Omv log says: Starting plex media Server... Done!

Yes - OMV boot-log says: Starting plex media Server... Done! - but in Web-GUI Services/Overview is a red dot at PlexMediaServer Running

PMS is the only service, which sometimes does not start correctly.

Server (own building in February 2015): ASROCK Q1900-ITX - Intel Celeron J1900 - RAM 4GB Micron CT515264BF160B - 16GB SSD Kingston SS050S216G for system OMV 4.1.x (Arrakis)
    favorites Plugins: Plex Media Server - Transmission - Autoshutdown - Rsync - USBBackup

• Give me some more info on your hardware.. system drive and data drives ( any usb?)

Also, results of this where uuid is that of the filesystem where plexmediaserver folder is located:

ls -la /media/uuid/

• My Hardware:
    MB: ASROCK Q1900-ITX (Mini ITX)
    CPU: Intel Celeron J1900 1.99GHz
    Mem: 4GB Micron CT515264BF160B
    System-Drive: 16GB Kingston SS050S216G at SATA III
    Data-Drives: 2x2TB HDD Seagate ST2000VN00 3,5" at SATA III
    No optical Drives
    Nothing at USB ports

DB-Folder for Plex in WebGUI: /media/279562e3-cf22-4702-a53b-9900d0e215af/plexmediaserver

Plex works fine, but mostly start Plex Media Server (PMS) on boot, sometimes not.
    The solution with the script is OK for me.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von KPT. Chaos ()

• Why is there an s in your perms?

Code
    drwxrwsr-x+ 3 plex users  4096 Sep 10 20:18 plexmediaserver

The plexmediaserver folder is moved by the plugin. Did you share the root of your data drive or did you create a plexmediaserver shared folder????

Read this:
    How to make a good Media share for Emby and PlexMediaServer

Here is the plexmediaserver folder perms on my machine:

Code
    drwxr-xr-x  3 plex plex       4096 Jul  8  2013 plexmediaserver
  • Also, you should be using the plex group by now. I wonder why this group has not been created and your chown is not plex:plex.

You should not have to add the plex user to the users group if your media share is setup correctly. The media servers normally only need read privileges. That means 3rd digit in 3 chmod perm is 5 or 4 for others (.e.g. 755 or 644)

• There are several things different in his perms. I have seen before when people have the s, setgid, in perms that it will not autostart. The other things I am just saying....

The plexmediaserver folder in it's default location does not have the "s". So something has been done to add this. The Plex server is very picky about all the perms in the plexmediaserver folder.

The chown could be an issue too. I don't know his primary group for the plex user.

***This is why I created the GUIDE***

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not that this helps the current problem but this should go away with OMV 3.0. Not only does plex use systemd but we can also use the standard Ubuntu package directly from Plex. This may even allow using the updates in the Plex web interface.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi,

I got the same problem on OMV 2.2.1 Stone Burner.
    i tried :

Code
    update-rc.d -f plexmediaserver remove
    update-rc.d plexmediaserver defaults
    service plexmediaserver start

But it doesn't change anything. So i add before 'exit 0' in /etc/rc.local :

Code
    (service plexmediaserver restart) &

Work great !

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!