PXE-provided images not showing on remote PC on boot?

• Hi all,

I used the PXE plugin to provide a GParted boot image over the network. I used the standard settings with the older version pre-configured by OMV, and activated the TFTP server on OMV.

The first problem is the PXE > Images > Update button doesn't seem to work: It still allows me to choose between outdated images of GParted

And the second issue: on booting the other computer, after a long time, it gives the PXE-E53 error "no boot filename received".

Where should I begin to address the source of the issue?

• Offizieller Beitrag

How do you know it isn't updating? What are the Gparted versions? The list is maintained by us so it may not be a current Gparted version.

Is your dhcp server pointing clients to the PXE server and telling it what the default filename to look for?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Usually there's a message indicating that an update is in progress. The latest version of GParted is 0.24, but the one shown is 0.21. It was not clear if this was an automatically-updated list, or manually updated, therefore I thought it wasn't updating.

How do I know if the DHCP server (router) is pointing the client to the PXE server?

• Offizieller Beitrag

How do I know if the DHCP server (router) is pointing the client to the PXE server?

in 99% of the cases an ISP home gateway/router won't give you an option to pass dhcp option for pxe. If you have pfsense, openwrt or tomato router you can pass the option in dnsmasq.

What you do in this cases is you disable dhcp server in the router an use dnsmasq in OMV. Now the dhcp server runs in your NAS, there you can put the option to pass the option as dhcp to clients to boot pxe. I believe @davidh2k put in the pxe plugin tab information about that.

• Hmm, maybe this router does? I don't know if these screen captures would show anything of use regarding the DHCP function that would have to be modified.

The other screen capture shows that, even though PXE is active, it's not enabled (How?).

As a test, I disconnected the modem /router after configuring OMV as the DHCP server. However, it fails to assign a DHCP address to this computer, and on the other I am trying to boot, I got a different error:

PXE-E51 No DHCP or proxy DHCP offers were received

• Well the dnsmasq test I tried didn't work out.

I now have the settings as presented in the first screenshot.

Is the Option 68 supposed to look like the 8.13 section in this RFC document? In which case "PXE" doesn't match the expected format.

And the computer I want to boot off the PXE server now gives a different error:

Code
    PXE-T00 Get not supported
    PXE-E36 Error received from TFTP server

Which is a good sign because it means it was able to find the server (I guess).

I tried to check the system logs in OMV, but it fails to load with a "Communication failure" error. I then connected to the shell, and ran

Code
    tail -f /var/log/messages

hoping to find something as the other computer boots, but nothing appeared.

And, as the last screenshot in the previous post, the Diagnostics > Services > overview shows PXE is running, but not enabled. Is that even normal?

• I corrected the settings as per your post, removing option 150. Then I installed tcpdump on OMV.

On renewing DHCP in OMV, I get

What should I be paying attention to?

Computer still doesn't boot off PXE

• Offizieller Beitrag

Then i don't know, do you know the brand/model for the router?

Guess you have to try dnsmasq, this how a dnsmasq response looks like, is quite different from your router

Server-IP is the tftp omv server, are you sure you're running the tftp server?

• The modem is a Zhone 6718-W1. There's no documentation in the user manual about the DHCP options.
    The capture when the computer tries to boot when option 52 is added shows:

The previous attempt to use dnsmasq failed: the local computer didn't receive an IP, and the computer trying to boot off PXE failed to get one as well with error:

Zitat

Server-IP is the tftp omv server, are you sure you're running the tftp server?

TFTP is enabled and running, but PXE is running but not enabled. Is that normal?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Then dnsmasq is not configured properly or not running. What settings did you put in the panel ? can you put a screenshot here

Also if you're gonna use dnsmasq in OMV, give the server static ip, otherwise you might loose access in case is headless, and then have to connect the monitor.

but PXE is running but not enabled. Is that normal?

Yes, the pxe is just a configuration not a service or daemon

• Offizieller Beitrag

Everything is wrong, your network is not 192.168.178.0 is 192.168.1.0 seems obvious, look at the dhcp range

Also select lease network from the menu.

The extra options correct them again number 178 present there is 192.168.1.0, though the extra options are unnecessary IMO, at least in my setup they work without it.

Look at my screenshot

Of course don't copy the values from mine is different network

• Thats how it's supposed to look like. Don't fill first and last IP.

Be aware that this configuration still breaks internet connection, as you need to manually edit resolv.conf or the resolvconf footer file to have your DNS Server in it.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I tried both davidh2k and subzero79's configurations, which are slightly different. Both give the same error:

PXE-E52: proxyDHCP offers were received. No DHCP offers were received

In both cases, I adapted the IPs to match the one normally covered by the router, ans I added a static entry for OMV, as shown.
    In the case of subzero79's config, my OMV doesn't show anything when I click the arrow for "Lease network", which isn't used in davidh2k's config.

I also wanted to maintain a SSH connection to OMV, but it failed to resolve either the raw IP (same as when assigned by the modem) or its hostname.

What would be the meaning of this PXE-E52 error?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!