Size VS Size On Disk

• I don't know the answer, but I've always just ignored the size on disk as a garbage number.

Size on disk is how much room it actually takes up tho correct? Its the measurement of how many blocks it uses while size is the actual size of the files. At least that's what I believe. I have one folder I keep backups on that the size is 5 or 600 gb but size on disk is over 1.2TB

Its just strange that on my external usb backup drive size on disk and size match perfectly for the same folders. I guess I could delete the folders on the server and move the stuff back over.

• Yes, if you want to store a text file with one byte in it, it takes a minimum cluster size space on the disk which can be around 4000 bytes or so depending on how it was formatted.

I'm guessing the Windows size screen is looking at information that Samba isn't reporting back correctly for the 'size on disk' information.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!