netatalk

• Hi!
    I'm testing version 3 and I'm trying to install the netatalk plugin although I get the following error:

• The old omv plugin uses /etc/netatalk/* for the configuration - which is for version <3.x The newer version >3.x use /usr/local/etc/afp.conf for _all_ configurations.
    See http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/3.1/htmldocs/upgrade.html for differences. If you really need Netatalk, you should NOT use the pre-built debian binaries provided by several sites. Most ready-made binaries are compiled with tracker support for Spotlight. This is nice, but has much problems with headless installations like omv. If you build from sources, see
    http://netatalk.sourceforge.ne…_3.1.8_on_Debian_8_Jessie
    for required packages and use
    ./configure --with-init-style=debian-systemd --without-libevent --without-tdb --with-cracklib --enable-krbV-uam --with-pam-confdir=/etc/pam.d --with-dbus-sysconf-dir=/etc/dbus-1/system.d
    to configure. Do NOT try to install the old plugin, it won't work.
    You will need to define your shares manually in /usr/local/etc/afp.conf like

[Public]
    path= /media/111a111b-2222-3333-4444-4507f4974ec2/public/
    invisible dots = yes

See the man pages for more. To start Netatalk use
    systemctl enable netatalk
    systemctl start netatalk

If you see a message like
    root@omv:~# systemctl start netatalk
    Failed to start netatalk.service: Unit netatalk.service is masked.
    then recheck your configuration and then unmask with
    systemctl unmask netatalk
    and try again.

You will get a running AFP-server without control via the omv GUI. It works, but you need to do all configurations manually. If you are not used to fix things on a command shell, I recommend using SMB for now.

• There is a good and easy howto for Debian on the netatalk site and you can control with what options (e.g. using tracker or not and what authentifications) you compile. I know there are also a lot .deb's around for easy install, though I'd only trust the original sources. But well, your choice.
    Nevertheless, using Netatalk had always some glitches (cross-protocol file locking with SMB?) and waiting for the next major Samba-release with better built-in support for Macs (ADS) and Spotlight might be a good idea. I need AFP for some very old machines, but most people with newer Macs and OS X >10.7 should be happy with SMB nowadays.

• The path /usr/local/etc is the default place for the configuration and won't get harmed if old tools mess up the config.
    I know, that many people use timemachine via network and use a NAS as target. This works kinda fine for wired networks, but I recommend against if using wifi. I've seen dozens of broken backups whis way.

• Im interested in AFP aswell.
    Of Course because of Time Machine support but I still think AFP has some features which makes it way more comfortable to use with OSX instead of SMB (for example Speed).

I hope this Thread gets an Update, when there is a official Version.

Thx.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!