Installation Media Redux: Recommendation now that Docker is supported

• Before Docker, the recommendation was to stay away from USB and CF type media and install to a small HDD or SSD. It was also mentioned there was no significant difference between using HDD (SATA or IDE) or SSD and that 10-20 GB was good enough for the boot drive. Is this still the recommendation to go this route for the boot drive and use an SSD for Docker images/containers?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Docker availability really doesn't have anything to do with our recommendations. If you usb usb/cf, use the flashmemory plugin. If you want faster docker speed, use an ssd for a data drive.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• OK, so I guess ideally (instead of using a USB/SD/CF as I'll still want the SSD for the docker images/containers), I can have let's say a 256GB SSD, partition it for about 20GB for the boot drive and have the rest as a system drive for Docker and other items?

• 20GB is overkill for the OMV system drive. I have OMV installed to a 32GB SSD and only 3GB of it is actually being used.

Also, you can not approach things this way with the standard OMV installation media. It does not allow custom partitioning during the install; it takes over the entire target disk regardless of its size.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• 20GB is overkill for the OMV system drive. I have OMV installed to a 32GB SSD and only 3GB of it is actually being used.

Also, you can not approach things this way with the standard OMV installation media. It does not allow custom partitioning during…

Yes, I have seen that it is around 4GB on the two systems I have it installed so far.

In regards to the installation media, the partitioning will occur first with gParted, then OMV will be installed on the small partition and the larger partition will be storage for docker images.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV will re-write the partitions. You can re-partition after installing OMV -or- install Debian Wheezy and OMV on top of that.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• OMV will re-write the partitions. You can re-partition after installing OMV -or- install Debian Wheezy and OMV on top of that.

Indeed boss. You are correct. I believe I did the re-partition after OMV was installed.

Back to my question, is this an OK approach or is there an advantage of getting a separate USB/CF/SD or IDE drive for the OS?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think both ideas work fine.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!