Problem installing from USB stick

• Hi!

I used unetbootin for creating a bootable usb stick from the installation iso.
    But after booting, the installer said cant fint the cdrom, select ehich driver you want, then enter which device is the cdrom.
    Also gives a help, to switch to terminal 2 and do a "ls /dev |more", where you can choose the proper device.
    I tried with severall usb sticks on several systems, but always the same problem, with debian netinstall iso too.
    Any advices?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try Linux Live USB creator or Win32diskimager or use dd on a Linux system.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "Vieron82"

Hi!

I used unetbootin for creating a bootable usb stick from the installation iso.
    But after booting, the installer said cant fint the cdrom, select ehich driver you want, then enter which device is the cdrom.
    Also gives a help, to switch to terminal 2 and do a "ls /dev |more", where you can choose the proper device.
    I tried with severall usb sticks on several systems, but always the same problem, with debian netinstall iso too.
    Any advices?

That means it's a problem in how you're creating a disk. Either burn a CD, or try one of the tools above (as a Linux user, I've always used dd, and had zero probs)

• Hi.

I just had an experience installing OpenMEdiaVault from a USB stick.
    I've tried different tools to create the bootable disk on Windows. It seems like the problem is that all the tools are using USB stick formatted as a raw disk without partitioning. That's a problem, because debian-installer uses 'list-devices' script with usb-partitions parameters. Raw USB drives do not seem appear there, so the installer could never find the USB stick contents.
    I've mounted the stick manually using the second console before the installer tried to find a cdrom.

Code
    modprobe fat
    modprobe vfat
    mkdir /cdrom
    mount /dev/sda /cdrom

I assume everything would work if I copied iso with dd, but I just wanted to understand what is wrong with Windows tools widely recommended here in the forum.

Another problem was occurred later with apt-setup. The error was somewhere in 50mirrors script. The problem was gone after I've added the following into install/preseed.conf on the stick:

Code
    d-i apt-setup/use/netinst string

Hope my information helps to potentially fix USB boot.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "SerErris"

You need a boot loader that emulates booting from a cdrom. Simply copying the CD with DD to an USB stick will not work.

Actually, Volker says to use dd in the FAQ and that is what I use.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!