How to check network connection speed? NAS transfers very slow

• Hey all, I am a brand new user of OMV and want to know how to check what speed my NAS is connected to my router? It should be at Gigabit ethernet but seems to only be at 100 megabits as my file transfers only sit around the 8-10 megabytes/s. The motherboard is an ASUS B85M-E with a Realtek 8111F and my router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 so it should be fast.

• Thanks for that, so I ran ethtool and from what I can gather, it's saying I'm connected at gigabit speeds, copied this below. Yet my transfer speeds both copying to and from my NAS from my Windows 10 PC only ever sits around the 8-12 megabytes/s. It should be waayyyyy faster than that as the NAS is brand new. Any ideas? Specs are:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3260 3.3Ghz
    MoBo: Asus B85M-E
    RAM: 16GB something Geil
    HDDs: 2x WD reds 3TB brand new

I've setup the hard drives in RAID mirror. Please let me know if there's any other diagnostics or other info I need to post.

Settings for eth0:
    Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
    Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
    Supported pause frame use: No
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
    Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Speed: 1000Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Port: MII
    PHYAD: 0
    Transceiver: internal
    Auto-negotiation: on
    Supports Wake-on: pumbg
    Wake-on: g
    Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
    drv probe ifdown ifup
    Link detected: yes

• Hmm, I didn't think about that one. My NAS sits right next to the router in my cupboard and is connected directly via ethernet cable. My main windows PC is also connected with cables to the router, but not directly. It runs through a port in my walls so it goes from PC>Cable>Wall cabling>cable>Router. It is reporting connection at gigabit speeds in windows but I guess I can try connecting directly to the router or swapping cables to see if one is faulty? If one is though, I would have thought it would report only 100 megabit in windows?

My NAS drives are setup for EXT4, windows PC is NTFS. Didn't think the 2 file systems for the 2 machines should matter with transfer speed though?

• Hi all, I narrowed this down to a surge protector that I was using next to my PC that I forgot about. It had ethernet in/out for surge protection. I bypassed this and my transfer speeds shot straight up to 100+ megabytes/s! Stupid surge protector...

• I"m on the same page as you.
    I'm connecting my router's CAT5e through my UPS then to my OMV, and now my speed is going down to 5MB/s from 11MB/s.
    Same results whether I'm using 3.16 or 3.2.0 kernel.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!