Rsync Syntax for backup

• I am having problems getting OMV to backup to different machine on my LAN. I know it's a matter of syntax of the Rsync command, but I have not been able to figure it out.

The machine I want back up to is a Debian machine on which I have set up a MDDFS pool. The command I have now in the OMV Rsync Destinatation server is myname@192.168.17.100::mnt/terapool/. with terapool being the name of the mount point for the MHDDFS. The error code i received was:

rsync: failed to connect to 192.117.17.100 (192.168.17.100): Connection refused (111)
    rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122) [sender=3.0.9]

Googling this error did not bring back any useable results.

All is working well, all machines can see each other, the only thing I don't understand is what I need to enter as the OMV Rsync Destination server. I have tried several different syntaxes from reading many Rsync posts and manuals, I am obviously misunderstanding something. The command I have posted above at least makes me think that OMV is reaching the Debian machine but can't get access.

= Rsync is installed on Debian machine

= Debian machine is running Jessie 8

= OpenMediaVault information
    Release: 1.19
    Codename: Kralizec

Thanks for any help you can provide,

• I didn't know anything about the Rsync Daemon until your post. I assume that is my problem and will see if I can get the Daemon running on the backup server.

This post also makes reference to running the daemon and attempting to sync over ssh. This makes me wonder if it would be just as easy to open an ssh session to the OMV and run Rsync from the CLI?

Thanks for your reply and I will post back when I get the Rsync daemon running

• I configured and ran the rsync daemon on the backup machine and the sync ran fine. For any one who comes across this post and is a newb like me, here is some info on how I did it.

The first and most important piece of information came from this link - http://www.jveweb.net/en/archi…ng-rsync-as-a-daemon.html. Following these directions, it was easy to configure the rysnc daemon on the destination machine. The second most crucial point was then understanding to use the "module" name in the OMV rsync command. I only discovered this when I tried the path name to the backup destination and received an error message from OMV. The "module" name is what the user puts in the brackets above the path (after the log and pid files) in the rsync daemon config file. This may be known to experienced users, but it is not in the rsync manual and may not be easily divined from the rsyncd manual.

So the line in my OMV Rsync 'Destination Server' box looks like this:

myusername@192.168.1.xxx::nameofmodule, replacing the 192.168.1.xxx with the IP address of the destination machine and myusername as the user name on the destination box.

This info may be useful for some NAS devices as well. My setup is a Linux box running Linux Debian with a disk pool created using MDDFS, but should work on any Linux installation.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!