[SOLVED] SRST failed errno=-16

• are you plugging the drive into a board that only has sata 1 (1.5 gbs)? if so you may need to correctly put a jumper on the drive to limit it to 1.5 gbs. give more info on your board and drive.

• Thanks for your quick reply!

Funny, I hadn't thought about that. It's actually a new drive, a WD RE4 2 TB. It's a Shuttle XPC with an Intel 925XE chipset. It might only have SATA 1. I'll try it out and see what happens.

Ubuntu didn't complain about it :)

• This is not operating system related. This is hardware issue. I think I just looked at drive you have. If you look to right of where you plugin the sata and the power there are a group of pins. The drive may have come with a jumper and directions on which pins to put the jumper to reduce to 1.5 gbs.

• Hmm. This is getting really strange. It seems as I have been randomly choosing a SATA port/cable to plug the HDD in. If I plug it into one of the ports it works, the other it doesn't!

One of the ports or channels must be limited... Thanks a lot for your help!

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Was bad SATA cable....

I had a bad SATA cable once. Took ages to figure out. In the end I was about to replace the drive... Then the penny dropped. Tis the first thing I check now

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!