kworker process with high CPU usage

• Hello,

I'm using OMV for one week or so, and I'm still migrating my data from my old NAS systems that weren't not performing as expected any more.
    I'm using 2 main processes in parallel to migrate the data:
    - Using MidnightCommander in OMV to mount the remote NAS via FTP and then copping it;
    - Using my Ubuntu PC that has SMB mounted to all NAS and basically dragging and dropping (I know here that the data comes firstly to my PC and then to OMV, theoretically affecting performance, but strangely it is as fast as direct FTP.).

In neither of these processes I'm able to achieve decent GB speeds (according to system information graphs, the max peak ever registered was around 260mbps), although my home network is cat5e gigabit. Anyway, I suspect the bottleneck is in the old NAS systems, so I'm not blaming OMV :).

So, this migration process is taking its time, some batches of copies take couple of hours. When this happens, I notice that there is a process in OMV that starts consuming lots of CPU (around 100% of one CPU core) and remains like that even after the copies are finished. The only way to efficiently recover is rebooting the system.

I investigated a little and this was a known bug in older kernel releases (saw bug reports on 3.0.0-12-generic, 3.13.0-32.57, etc.). It should be solved in the current release (OMV 2.1.27 --> Linux 3.2.0-4-686-pae).
    I couldn’t find any reference here in the OMV forum.

So, having this in mind, I'd like to ask if someone else is also suffering from the same symptom, and if there is a solution for it.

Thanks,
    Joaoabs

---------
    Build:
    headless JNF95A-270-LF Intel Atom PC (1st Generation Intel® Atom N270 @ 2.5W (512K Cache, 1.60 GHz, 533 MHz FSB) with 2GB RAM and GB ethernet)
    Data on Western Digital Red (NASware) 3TB
    OMV 2.1.27 running on SanDisk UtraFit 16GB with flashmemory 1.9.2 folder2ram plugin

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!