OMV Backup Plugin - what is "System Backup"?

• I read Tekb's guide on using Clonezilla to backup the system drive (Headless Backup of the System Drive with Clonezilla)

However, I had already done a "backup" using the "System Backup" tab on the far right of the plugin. It appeared to make a backup, and I now have an "omvbackup" folder on my /media volume.

My questions are:

1. What is this function and does it have any usefuleness?
    2. If it's not the appropriate way to backup (and use for restore) then I presume I should use his method of employing Clonezilla. In that case, should I just delete the omvback folder created by System Backup and ignore this function all-together?

thanks

• "This plugin will backup the entire OpenMediaVault system minus data drives for restoration in emergency situations."

Mark

- Meine Kenntnisse in der englischen Sprache sind leider sehr begrenzt. -

• We recommend to image with Clonezilla because it is easy to restore. The other method you used to make a live backup is very difficult to restore. If you have plenty of room there is nothing wrong with keeping a copy of your system drive using this method. If you decide you want to just use the Clonezilla method I would delete the backup from the other method and uninstall that plugin. If you have more interest in that plugin Aaron is the one you need to ask.

• Zitat

tekkb
    15 minutes ago

We recommend to image with Clonezilla because it is easy to restore. The other method you used to make a live backup is very difficult to restore. If you have plenty of room there is nothing wrong with keeping a copy of your system drive using this method. If you decide you want to just use the Clonezilla method I would delete the backup from the other method and uninstall that plugin. If you have more interest in that plugin Aaron is the one you need to ask.

Thanks tekkb, I will go the route of Clonezilla and call it a day. Was just curious why this otherwise so easy (in appearances) method of backup wasn't the preferred method. Clearly it's on the recovery side. Thanks!

-Mark - I appreciate your attempt at an answer (or was it humor? i'm not sure), but I could in fact read the description on the page. However, that description does not give any detail about complete functionality, usefulness and more importantly why it clearly is not the preferred method of backup/restore, despite appearing to be so straightforward. cheers

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!