Clonezilla Backup Plugin - RAID 5 Compatible?

• Apologies in advance to Tekkb as he just answered another of my posts. His answer resulted in my attempting to follow his Clonezilla guide (Headless Backup of the System Drive with Clonezilla), but without success.

After following the instructions just fine I get to step 12 and run into some problems:

Zitat

12) Now we need to select the partition where the backups folder was created so it can be mounted. I created the backups folder on a Seagate NAS drive and it is showing as sda1. So highlight the partition where the backups folder is and press TAB and hit Enter on OK. (Pic6)

The only drive listed in the device list is my system drive; my media volume, on which I created my omvbackup folder for the backup, is not listed among the drive options. Now, just to clarify, my media volume is a RAID 5 volume.

Is Clonezilla compatible with creating backup images on RAID 5 volumes?

If it is, any ideas why my device might not be listed? (I wasn't able to find any good answers in generic Clonezilla forums)

If RAID 5 is not supported then I'm sure that's the problem. In that case, what is my next best solution among those on the "Backup" plugin that might allow me to save a system drive image to my RAID volume?

Thanks in advance!

• Zitat

tekkb58 minutes ago

Clonezilla is recommend for the system drive. There are many other methods that work better for the data drives. Rysnc and the various plugins that use Rsync are an example.

Yes. I think perhaps I wasn't clear in my post. I *am* trying to backup the system drive, and only the system drive. I'm trying to copy an image - of the system drive - on to my media drive/volume. Just as you did in your guide. The only difference is that you are using a single data drive, whereas my data volume is a RAID 5 volume of 3 drives.

The issue is that my data volume is not listed among the target drives on which to copy the system drive image during your "Step 12". Only the system drive is listed. And, of course, I do not want to copy an image of the system drive on to the system drive.

Anybody have any insight into this one?

Thanks again

• Ah.... Gotcha. Yeah, that Guide did not consider people using RAID 5. But someone else had same issue as you and I told them to connect an external and direct the backup to the external drive. You could also backup to a SAMBA share, on another machine on your network, using Clonezilla. Just depends on what you have available.

• Zitat

tekkb12 minutes ago

Ah.... Gotcha. Yeah, that Guide did not consider people using RAID 5. But someone else had same issue as you and I told them to connect an external and direct the backup to the external drive. You could also backup to a SAMBA share, on another machine on your network, using Clonezilla. Just depends on what you have available.

Okay, cool. I do appreciate the follow up response. I will opt for the SAMBA share route, which is doable for me. Thanks again!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!