Guide to setting up WOL for OpenMediaVault

• Hi gang, I ran a search and couldn't find a nice step by step guide to setting up an OpenMediaVault server to either Hibernate/Sleep and setup WOL the proper way.

I remember with my old Synology DS-107 NAS, there was one simple screen that you just went in to setup your NAS that your hard drive go to sleep in 30 minutes with no activity and the whole NAS to Hibernate when there would be no activity for 1 hour.

Any help would be awesome sine I live in Ontario and having my OpenMediaVault NAS computer running all the time, it's starting to show on my electricity usage cost.

Thanks.

• Did you check the autoshutdown plugin, the WOL plugin and the WOL settings for your network interface?
    You might not need a guide to enable that :)

OMV 5.x | Banana PI (M1) | Seafile Server
    OMV 4.x | ShuttlePC SH55J2

• Hi sieben, I have both autoshutdown and wol installed. But I'm a little nervous since last time I played wol, I had to redo my os drive, it had corrupted all the files when testing the settings of wol.

• Hi gang, can anyone explain to me or show me a screenshot on how to properly setup my NAS to sleep/hibernate when there is no activity or traffic going to my NAS for longer then 1 hour?

Any help would be great,

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi gang, can anyone explain to me or show me a screenshot on how to properly setup my NAS to sleep/hibernate when there is no activity or traffic going to my NAS for longer then 1 hour?

Look at the autoshutdown plugin.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi ryecoaaron, that's what I tried to use for my NAS to hibernate/sleep after 1 hour on not being used but it still up and running. Would you have a screenshot or explanation for every switch and options there is on the autoshutdown screen?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nope. I don't use the plugin. I thought there was a description on the settings page for every setting. Maybe this will help?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Hi gang, I ran a search and couldn't find a nice step by step guide to setting up an OpenMediaVault server to either Hibernate/Sleep and setup WOL the proper way.

I remember with my old Synology DS-107 NAS, there was one simple screen that you just went…

I'm looking for same thing. For example, my seagate nas goes to sleep unless my windows machine accesses it. I've struggled with this Autoshutdown, WOL, and rtcwake. The Autoshutdown discusses priorities, but I'm looking for something if the nas is idle for too long, shutdown or hibernate.

AMD Athlon 5350
    APUASRock AM1H-ITX mobo
    PNY CS1311 SSD 120GB 6GB/s TLC (for boot only)
    8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 x1
    Thermaltake Core V1 case
    External Toshiba 90w PSU brick ac adapter
    OMV version: Release: 2.2.1

• mbourd25, myself and a friend tinkered with the autoshutdown plugin. What we did to see if script was functioning was to fake out the higher priorities in order to get to the condition/priority you want to access (lower priorities UP/DL or HDDIO...).

For example, there were always going to be IP's up on my network within the default range specified (2..254). So if you put a non pingable address in there (we put 254..254), you can't just blank this out and expect it to be skipped. Then it drops to the next priority. We then found for ports we maintained connections via web browser (port 80) and an ssh connection (22) so it wouldn't shutdown because according to script checks they were still present. We changed to port 9999, when the port check runs against this non running port it should shutdown, but it didn't because it still somehow internally checked 22 and 80 as present. It could be in memory somewhere or we just weren't patient enough to see the change. Once we closed ssh and browser, it shutdown.

It could be just me, but I had difficulty discerning what was meant by positive and/or negative result for each priority.

I had no desire to specify a forced uptime range, so I wanted that skipped. I had IP's always up within range and wanted it skipped. I had ports opened to observe, I wanted it skipped.
    All other priorities were disabled.
    We set the cycle to 1 for 10 seconds.
    It then shutdown

If you have the higher priorities specified, it never seems to get to lower priorities and/or checks their values. Meaning, it would always stay at the IP priority and never drop down to other lower priorities. You should be able to minimize or exclude other priorities in order to use the desired setting for when to shutdown, but only some of the settings have a true/false underneath, so you have to pad or put some bogus entry to have that priority be skipped. In my case it will be just HDDIO or Load Average. Use the verbose setting and view the /var/log/autoshutdown.log file troubleshooting.

Contents of my current /etc/autoshutdown.conf:

ENABLE="false"
    CYCLES=6
    SLEEP=10
    RANGE="254..254"
    SHUTDOWNCOMMAND="pm-hibernate"
    CHECKCLOCKACTIVE="false"
    UPHOURS="6..20"
    NSOCKETNUMBERS="22,80"
    ULDLCHECK="true"
    ULDLRATE=50
    LOADAVERAGECHECK="true"
    LOADAVERAGE=40
    HDDIOCHECK="true"
    HDDIO_RATE=401
    SYSLOG="true"
    VERBOSE="true"
    FAKE="false"

AMD Athlon 5350
    APUASRock AM1H-ITX mobo
    Thermaltake Core V1 case

• Offizieller Beitrag

Even though I wrote the frontend, I haven't looked at the script that does the important part much. I would think it would be easy to make certain checks optional. I would add an issue here. I still need to port this plugin to OMV 3.x. It is tough since I don't use it though.

• Even though I wrote the frontend, I haven't looked at the script that does the important part much. I would think it would be easy to make certain checks optional. I would add an issue <a href="https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/openmediavault-autoshutdown/issues" class="externalURL" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">here</a>. I still need to port this plugin to OMV 3.x. It is tough…

Done. Thanks again.

AMD Athlon 5350
    APUASRock AM1H-ITX mobo
    Thermaltake Core V1 case

• Hi, I am trying to set up autoshutdown and WOL at the moment on my OMV 2.2.3

Autoshutdown works fine with NO entries in the IP range and NO entries in the port range. It goes to suspend after 1 cycle and 60 seconds. However, I have troubles waking it up again from my main PC via "wakeonlan MAC". The package gets sent but nothing happens. I put WOL on "yes" in the WEB GUI setup and I put it on yes in the "omv-firstaid" setup under network connections. Do I have to check the BIOS, also? Could it be that my powerline (LAN over power with Zyxel hardware) makes WOL impossible?

• Most motherboards do have setting to turn on WOL in the bios. If that setting is not turned on it will not work. Tell us the motherboard and model if you can't figure it out. Maybe someone will have time to look at your manual.

• Thanks for the reply. I digged into this. I have a Realtek Ethernet adapter r8169 on my ASRock H81 Pro BTC Motherboard. It had a bug in the driver so no WOL was working but that got fixed around 2013. So I upgraded to the backport kernel (the normal one is from 2012) and now have 3.16 installed. But it is still not working. I have enabled WOL in the BIOS, but my BIOS is not the latest version. I hesitate to flash it, though.

• The problem was that I did not check the BIOS right. It had a second entry that was necessary to enable, it was for PCI power on, although the Realtek Ethernet is no PCI card. I found a hint on some blog. WOL now works fine together with autoshutdown!

• The problem was that I did not check the BIOS right. It had a second entry that was necessary to enable, it was for PCI power on, although the Realtek Ethernet is no PCI card. I found a hint on some blog. WOL now works fine together with autoshutdown!

Hello, I have an ASrock motherboard and can't get WOL working. Would you please explain the BIOS settings that helped you? Maybe with screenshot? And maybe link the hint you found on the web that lead to the resolution of your issue?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!