Help to backup running rpi on my NAS.

• Hi,

I'd like to automate the backup of my multiple raspberry pi (osmc, teleinfo, home-automation, ...).
    Some of them are not easily accessible, so unplug the sd card and make an iso image is not a convenent way to go.

I've googled for such a solution, and found post about "dd over ssh" or "rsync".
    But I think it's over my competences, so need a little help ^^

The best would be to make incremental image backups every nights.
    The rpi image/filesystems will not change a lot (except logs, some local DBs...) because all data are stored in the nas and accessed in NFS/SMB.
    If incremental backup is not possible, a rolling backup maybe (keep the last 10 backups for example)

Concerning the backup format, the simplier in case of rpi sd crash would be to have *.iso images. (but not compatible with the "incremental" way i suppose).
    Don't know if it's even possible to make an image of a running linux system...

Any help or suggestion would be geatly appreciated ;)
    And if I have time and skills, I could try to make a plugin.

thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

For the OS: openmediavault-backup

It only keeps one backup but rsnapshot fixes. Unless you make nightly changes or really need your logs, you don't need nightly backups either. You can schedule it in Scheduled Tasks with the command: omv-mkconf backup backup as root. Restoring isn't as easy but you can worry about that when you need it.

For data: openmediavault-rsnapshot

Keeps lots of backups and is scheduled but is for data only.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Aaron, you are talking about the System Backup TAB but could you not use the Clonezilla TAB and make an image? Restore image for base and then the RSnapshot to bring image up to date.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not on an RPi.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could run clonezilla on another system but the backup plugin boots the system from an ISO. So, that is why I said it won't work on an RPi.

• Hi.
    I'm not sure to understand sorry.
    My raspberries are not running omv, but various linux distros (osmc, raspbian, ...)
    Only my main haswell NAS/Server is running OMV.
    I'd like it to orchestrate and store the backups of all the rpis.

found this link

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not sure to understand sorry.
    My raspberries are not running omv, but various linux distros (osmc, raspbian, ...)
    Only my main haswell NAS/Server is running OMV.
    I'd like it to orchestrate and store the backups of all the rpis.

found this link

This is outside the scope of OMV. You are just using OMV for storage. You need to look at the specific distro for help backing it up. You would probably just use a cron job to start some kind of rsync command to OMV's rsyncd server.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!