Hdd going missing. Getting Communication Failure

• I have been following a few guides to set up my OMV.
    I have a number of drives and since yesterday when I updated through the update manager, I have been getting two distinct issues. First is that this particular ntfs external hdd goes missing at boot time, shows up in the gui lists under storage/physical drives, storage/file systems.
    I then copy some files from it into the pool and a little bit afterwards, the hdd disappears.
    When I browsed through some of the hdd related forum posts, they advise running some scripts which I did. They also advised updating the kernel to the latest so I did that as well.
    I am now running 3.1.6 and have also installed the backports although I have no clue what that does. It was just advise I saw in the forums that seemed to help.
    My suspicion is that my fstab is not correct but I don't know how to repair it.
    When I go into the storage function, there are two hdd missing and again I think it is the fstab.
    I suspect that if I correct the missing errors, the other issues will resolve itself - at least I hope so.
    So here are the codes I have run:

Code
    omv-mkconf fstab
    mount -a

I don't know the result of that becuase I am stil getting the errors when I reboot.

I ran blkid and got this:

From this, the hdd does not show up in the list.

I ran dmesg | tail and got this:

Code
    [  210.735033] sd 14:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg15 type 0
    [  210.735763] sd 14:0:0:0: [sdk] 732566645 4096-byte logical blocks: (3.00 TB/2.72 TiB)
    [  210.736761] sd 14:0:0:0: [sdk] Write Protect is off
    [  210.736767] sd 14:0:0:0: [sdk] Mode Sense: 28 00 00 00
    [  210.737893] sd 14:0:0:0: [sdk] No Caching mode page found
    [  210.737938] sd 14:0:0:0: [sdk] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [  210.738764] sd 14:0:0:0: [sdk] 732566645 4096-byte logical blocks: (3.00 TB/2.72 TiB)
    [  210.804539]  sdk: sdk1
    [  210.806263] sd 14:0:0:0: [sdk] 732566645 4096-byte logical blocks: (3.00 TB/2.72 TiB)
    [  210.808635] sd 14:0:0:0: [sdk] Attached SCSI disk

I ran cat /etc/fstab and got these:

I also ran cat /etc/openmediavault/config.xml. The results were so long I could not post this so I attached it as part of the code.txt.

Initially I enabled NFS and after browsing some forum posts, it appears that at times NFS creates communication failure errors so I disabled it and deleted the share. The communication failure stooped and restarted.
    Initially when I get the communication failure error, I reboot and it goes away. Now it does not go away and stays.

I also took screen shots of the omv gui with the errors.

"C:\Users\User\SkyDrive\NOOBS Pi\NAS Storage File Systems- Later.JPG"

Can anyone help me repair the damage? I don't want to reinstall the OMV all over.
    The hdd that goes missing is the HDDZ800BACKUP disk.
    I need the ntfs disks because I have a windows pc that I use frequently. The OMV was to centralise all my data in one place.
    Please can you help?

• I also ran the lspci code and got the following:

I have donated. have you?
    OMV 2.2 running on HP Gen 8 G1610T server, 16GB RAM + Xeon E3-1220

• Thanks for your response. Just coming back to try and resolve this.

root@omv:~# cat /etc/debian_version

• Offizieller Beitrag

Those ntfs drives are they permanent drives ? If they are, consider to switch them to ext4.
    Depending on the system specs it could be normal to have timeout issues with web framework trying to parse information for a large number of drives.
    you can try increasing the timeout value, I can't remember now but I can try to give you the hint later for changing that in the terminal.

• Yes the ntfs drives are permanent drives to be used with the windows pc.
    I was planning on centralising the data from them into ext4 drives but I have been unable because they keep disappearing.
    Also I am now getting Ngnix related errors as follows:

So disable Ngnix for now?
    I also read somewhere here that a wrong email id can create these issues so I want to switch off the the bit that emails me - can't remember where they are but I am working through the menu.

• I rebooted because I could not get any work done with the error.
    I am now getting this new error:

• Ok. What I have done is disable all but the necessary services.
    I have also disabled the notifications so hopefully, the communication error will stop.
    I will appreciate some assistance with the hdd problem as it keeps happening.
    I need to have access to the ntfs hdd to copy the files to ext4 before I can stop using them.
    Any ideas?

• I apologise. I thought they had been answered.
    Oh I didn't see that. Yes they are connected to the NAS box via a powered hub. Actually 4 of these drives are connected via this powered hub. Another two are connected to the NAS box via usb ports at the back of the box. The problematic ones are connected via both methods i.e. via the hub and via the ports at the back. There is no consistency. I have however ordered another powered hub to see if I can separate them.
    The drives in question are these drives: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pro…oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00 (WD Ultra 2TB external drive) and the 3TB version although the 3TB has not given any problematic indication.
    Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von seanbw ()

• You were right. I had already purchased another powered hub so I split them into two groups. Now I can see all the hdds. Thanks.
    Please I need to ask. Is there a detailed how to set up Nginx? There were some options I don't get and each time I try to set it up, I get the same communication errors.
    Or should I mark this solved and open another thread?
    Once again, many thanks. I appreciate the assistance.

• I'm sorry I didn't see this. I was so frustrated I eventually re-installed OMV although I am still getting problems with my USB/ext4 mounted drives but I have not installed the NginX plugin. I am having too many issues with OMV to go further than install and reinstall.
    Thanks anyway.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!