ZFSonLinux.org

• It would be nice if they added this, but it's doable on your own. I posted this on the last forum. Although some of the convenience of OMV goes out the door with this implementation.

I spent the time to write this for my own benefit, guess it could come in handy for others

How to guide for installing ZFS to your OMV system

Enable SSH from the browser interface and then login via ssh using something like putty and direct your browser to zfsonlinux.org, we'll need some links from there later.
    First, we need to install some things that will allow us to compile the packages. As per the ZFSonLinux site:
    #sudo apt-get install build-essential gawk alien fakeroot linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    #sudo apt-get install zlib1g-dev uuid-dev libblkid-dev libselinux-dev parted lsscsi
    Say yes to everything and once done cd on over to the /tmp directory and lets download the files we need from zfsonlinux there. We need the SPL and ZFS packages, I suggest you get the latest links from the website:
    #cd /tmp
    #wget http://github.com/downloads/zf…/spl/spl-0.6.0-rc9.tar.gz
    #wget http://github.com/downloads/zf…/zfs/zfs-0.6.0-rc9.tar.gz
    (unzip both packages)
    #tar -xf spl-0.6.0-rc9.tar.gz
    #tar -xf zfs-0.6.0-rc9.tar.gz
    You should now have two folders for each of those packages. Let's build the spl one first:
    #cd spl-0.6.0-rc9.tar.gz
    #./configure
    This should run through a big list of items, just make sure there are no errors. Once done enter:
    #make deb
    This will take some time but once it's done let's install it:
    #sudo dpkg -i *_amd64.deb
    Once that's all done let's repeat the process, but this time we are going to do it for the ZFS packages. CD over to the ZFS directory and repeat the steps we just did on the SPL directory. Assuming everything went ok you should now be set to go. There are a set of tests for each package that the ZFSonLinux site has, if you want to run through them to check that everything is installed ok I say go for it. Otherwise the quick and dirty way to see if things are running is to try and issue a ZFS command.
    #zpool status
    no pools available
    #zfs list
    no datasets available
    So if everything is working now might be a good time to start building your ZFS data sets. ZFS is pretty straightforward to setup, but I highly suggest you consult the Oracle ZFS Administration guide and get the basics down.
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/index.html
    or download it (can't guarantee it's the latest version)
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19963-01/pdf/821-1448.pdf

From what padrino has stated OMV can't see ZFS shares currently. So I manually setup a SMB share by doing the following (Note this setup is for full guest access only). EDIT: I chose to enable SMB in the web interface, don't forget guest access, in case I ran into any issues down the road. Also enabling SMB or NFS will wipe your config file. Backup any config file info you feel you need to keep!!!:
    #nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

The config file, with SMB enabled should look like something like this, the parts I added are the last line "security = share" and everything under "Share Definitions":

Hit Ctrl-X and save the file. Run the following to test the config file
    #testparm
    if everything is ok restart samba
    #sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart

Also don't forget to run a chown command on your share directory and set the user to nobody otherwise guests won't be able to write to the ZFS volume.
    #chown -R nobody pool/data

Good luck!

Mounting at Boot
    This can be done manually...
    #zfs mount /pool
    #zfs mount /pool/filesystem

I've taken a look at doing it automatically and there's no great way to get it done. You can first set the ZFS mount point as legacy and then make an entry in fstab or you can run a cron job every minute with "zfs mount /pool".

SOLVED (hopefully): Another issue I've run into, my N36L keeps changing up the boot order on me, so when I created the array via sdb, sdc, etc instead of the UUID it keeps degrading the array. This isn't a huge issue since you can just "zpool export pool -f" and then "zpool import pool -f", which just exports and imports the pool back in which solves any issues. I still do not know how to create a ZFS array using UUIDs or updating my current array to use UUIDs. If anyone has a solution, please post.

If this happens to you export your pool
    #zfs export pool -f
    Then run the following
    #zpool import -d /dev/disk/by-id
    Then reimport the pool
    #zfs import pool -f

Supposedly ZFS will see the hardware ID of these devices. Trying to get a UUID is useless as the command "blkid" shows "zfs" under UUID. Survived a few reboots so far, just hope it lasts.

• Getting a UUID out of a zfs partition seems to be one obstacle to making zfs work more magically with OMV.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/ph…c.php?f=16&t=314&start=10

Zitat

OMV uses UUIDs to recognize things (at least in 0.2) so it won't see the drives, even with legacy mount points because the system won't report UUIDs when querying the list of devices.

At the moment, my blkid output looks like this:

Code
    root@omv:~# blkid
    /dev/sda1: UUID="40bbabba-4381-4443-8afd-67fb29a328d1" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sda5: UUID="380d50b7-f328-43b2-b624-4387ee6b1253" TYPE="swap"
    /dev/sdb1: TYPE="zfs"

Not good... and I see other people using OMV have the same issue. However, I found people out there whose blkid output looks like this:

http://osdir.com/ml/zfs-discuss/2012-05/msg00148.html

Code
    ~$ sudo blkid
     /dev/sda1: LABEL="zfspool1" UUID="99418587177431xxxxx" UUID_SUB="6234475309785482155" TYPE="zfs_member"
     /dev/sdb1: LABEL="zfspool1" UUID="99418587177431xxxxx" UUID_SUB="10595250736346505763" TYPE="zfs_member"

Is he running a newer version of udev or libblkid or some such? If so, would it be possible to upgrade just one or a few packages to get to where he is?

I also found the following from Feb 2010 searching for "zfs_member". Maybe this is a relatively new thing...

http://marc.info/?l=util-linux-ng&m=126722443418413

Zitat

OK, "zfs_member" sounds good.

• thanks brbubba for the detailed tut on bulding & integrating spl and zfs. Finally it worked, but I had to install some more packages such as a c-compiler as per default in OMV, there was none installed (at least on my OMV 4.5 version).
    What I still would like to see very much, whould be the seamless integration in OMV. That means, that from the Web-UI I can select the file system ZFS. It's still not shown after the install. Is there is a reason why I can't? (UUID).
    The same would be nice with NTFS if there is a technical possibility.
    Could that be a feature request for one of the next versions?
    This is one of the main advantages of FreeNAS to support ZFS (based on FreeBSD).

• I think the lack of UUIDs has to do with the lack of zfs support in some of the core packages in Squeeze. ( i.e. util-linux ). I think this package pulls in a newer version of blkid that will see more than just 'zfs'.

When I get a chance, I'll try installing omv over Wheezy w/ the ZoL packages and see what happens. I don't think updating util-linux in an existing Squeeze-based omv install is a good idea.. but I might try that too :)

Do UUIDs get generated for pools in a VM?

• It would be great if ZFS would be in OMV. Maybe as a Plugin?

What I've read so far about zfsonlinux.org, that seems to work quite well and above faster than the Fuse Variant.

I think then OMV would really be the best NAS.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Volker has mentioned before that once OMV based on Wheezy (0.6) was released that it should have support for btrfs. If someone needs/wants ZFS over btrfs, they probably have the skills to install/manage it. Sounds like installing it may be easier with Wheezy as well. Otherwise, ZFS support will have to come from a third party plugin.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• ZFS on linux is as experimentals as btrfs. But the supporting community and cause it is the official kernel tree (which zfs never will be), it makes btrfs the number one choice for this project and for me.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Zitat von "SerErris"

ZFS on linux is as experimentals as btrfs.

I have no knowledge of the state of development of btrfs, but I would consider ZFS on LInux to be in beta rather than "experimental".
    Lawrence Livermore labs developed and are actively using ZFS for Linux on the world's largest supercomputer managing 55PB of storage. See http://zfsday.com/wp-content/u…/08/Behlendorf-ZFSDay.pdf

Given that, I'm happy to trust my measly few TB to ZFS on Linux :-}
    +1 for adding ZFS support into OMV.

• And still the integration will never be the same then btrfs will become. Simply ZFS is not supported by the official kernel as long as the copyright will stay as it is today.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• I would choice ZFS also over btrfs, i got a lot of experience with ZFS on Solaris, so having it on linux would just feel normal as i work with ZFS every single day and love it.
    Only the fact that btrfs needs a fsck tool scares me, let's see what the future brings but for now ZFS is for me the best filesystem ever.
    Having choices in OMV is what it makes big, so dumping everything for btrfs would just be a wrong choice, it would be best to leave the choice to the user and having as much possible choices would only be better, anyway when i see that most people go for RAID 5 then i think a lot of people needs to be educated still as i don't think that they all have a full backup of the Tbs they use or use a UPS.

• ZFSonLinux has finally added a repository for Wheezy, so when OMV comes out on Debian 7 it will be dead-easy to install without even having to compile:

http://zfsonlinux.org/debian.html

Package is called debian-zfs.

Hopefully this will help get zfs included in OMV on Wheezy.

ZFS pools don't auto-mount under Debian like they should; you have to run /etc/init.d/zfs-mount, but it works fine after that.

-Wes

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!