LVM error help

• Getting error (Couldn't find volume 'pvmove0' for segment 'segment7'. Couldn't read all logical volumes for volume group). I got this error after trying to change out a hard drive that was failing. I know its my fault I'm still learning here but i forced it out when all other attempts failed. I am hoping i can save the data but if not I will chalk it up to beginners error. I have searched all over for a fix but the closest thing i got to it was rewriting the meta data but the hard drive no longer works so not sure how that would work. there is no back up I have been in the process of migrating to OMV and haven't got to that point. Please any help at all would be great

Art

• Hi Art,

LVM does not give you any level of protection. If one of your drives fail, all volumes which have data on it (may it even only 1 byte), fill be dead and cannot get recovered.

So if your disk is simply dead, your are done with the data that were on your LVM.

If you want to protect your data, you should either use Raid5 without LVM or Raid5 with LVM on top. Any level of Raid will protect you from exactly this scenario.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!