Blog post on using OMV to backup my media

• I'm a photographer with a lot of content to backup and I wrote a post on my photoblog about my decision to use OMV to manage my NAS. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the link - it isn't spam or self promotion but a very positive experience of using OMV and might be helpful to others. Can I post the link?

• Perhaps we can create a section for public reviews and usecases, where one could link to whatever "press" release mentioning OMV.

We could then post a big disclaimer on it to make sure we are not legally affected by whatever stuff might be there.

I also doubt, that this is an issue. Reading the forum rules only talks about spamming and advertising. I believe this falls not into the category.

I would go this way:
    Post the link (edit your first post) and we as moderators will check it. If we find it okay - we leave it. If it is not okay or Volker does not like it, we can remove it at any point in time easily.

Ser

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "skinnyvoice"

I'm a photographer with a lot of content to backup and I wrote a post on my photoblog about my decision to use OMV to manage my NAS. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the link - it isn't spam or self promotion but a very positive experience of using OMV and might be helpful to others. Can I post the link?

Interesting... Not bad overall, but one comment...

Zitat

I decided to go ‘home brew’ and build a ‘headless’ (ie no monitor, keyboard or mouse, just an ethernet connection) NAS myself rather than use an off-the-shelf, expensive (and relatively limited) NAS.

Then you turned around and bought an HP N40L. That's like saying you built a PC because you bought it w/o an OS.. :)

I still think an HP N40L is limited, but if it meets your needs, that's all that matters.

• Zitat von "KM0201"

Then you turned around and bought an HP N40L. That's like saying you built a PC because you bought it w/o an OS.. :)

I still think an HP N40L is limited, but if it meets your needs, that's all that matters.

Not quite... I was comparing it to an off the shelf equivalent like a 4 bay Synology 413 which you can have up and running in minutes. The N40L is a bare box and needs modification as I described to make it work as an acceptable 4 bay NAS, hence 'home brew'. Admittedly, I didn't go the whole hog and build the box, but that is simply convenience.

Regarding limited - sure, if it doesn't do what I want. It does...

The other factor is the cashback (offer has ended I think). Makes for a very cheap NAS :D

• Ryeco had post somewhere today about streaming to like 4,5 or 6 clients at once today. I think the N40L is a great low powered device and easily fulfills the needs of many happy users. :D

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Ryeco had post somewhere today about streaming to like 4,5 or 6 clients at once today. I think the N40L is a great low powered device and easily fulfills the needs of many happy users. :D

Two iPads, two iPhones, WDTV Live, and Sony SMP-N100 all streaming mpeg2 dvd quality at once was no problem for an N40L. I only upgraded because of video encoding and virtual machines.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "skinnyvoice"

Not quite... I was comparing it to an off the shelf equivalent like a 4 bay Synology 413 which you can have up and running in minutes. The N40L is a bare box and needs modification as I described to make it work as an acceptable 4 bay NAS, hence 'home brew'. Admittedly, I didn't go the whole hog and build the box, but that is simply convenience.

Regarding limited - sure, if it doesn't do what I want. It does...

The other factor is the cashback (offer has ended I think). Makes for a very cheap NAS :D

Explain to me how it's "not quite".. You say you built a NAS, but all you did was buy one off the shelf and install an operating system.

Again, if it does what you want, that's fantastic... but it is what it is, and it's hardly "home brew".

• Zitat von "KM0201"

[

Explain to me how it's "not quite".. You say you built a NAS, but all you did was buy one off the shelf and install an operating system.

Again, if it does what you want, that's fantastic... but it is what it is, and it's hardly "home brew".

Fair enough, I'm not willy waving. I'll change the 'home brew'... Happy? NB, it was in inverted commas

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!