SMB speed - can i get more?

• I guess i have to start with that OMV runs on Proxmox.

Here are my results:

• HDD mounted as IDE device. The output of
      Code
      dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/sdftest.dd bs=1M count=10000

is:

Zitat

dd: writing `/media/sdftest.dd': No space left on device
      4689+0 records in
      4688+0 records out
      4916547584 bytes (4.9 GB) copied, 41.8926 s, 117 MB/s

Indeed i messed the path but still i like the speed and would like have it also for the SMB shares but i get 25MB/s (CPU ~40*) using E1000 NIC and 36MB/s with virtio NIC (CPU ~21*) - writing speed.

• HDD mounted as SATA device. The output of
      Code
      dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/sdf/test.dd bs=1M count=10000

is:

Zitat

10000+0 records in
      10000+0 records out
      10485760000 bytes (10 GB) copied, 90.0267 s, 116 MB/s

On the SMB share i get 30MB/s (CPU ~53*) using E1000 NIC and 32MB/s with virtio NIC (CPU ~20*) - writing speed.

• HDD mounted as virtio device - nice OMV gets the SMART info! The output of
      Code
      dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/sdf/test.dd bs=1M count=10000

is:

Zitat

10000+0 records in
      10000+0 records out
      10485760000 bytes (10 GB) copied, 100.369 s, 104 MB/s

On the SMB share i get 27MB/s (CPU ~17*) using E1000 NIC and 32MB/s with virtio NIC (CPU ~33*) - writing speed. Read speed is 40MB/s with E1000 NIC (CPU ~ 50%) and 42MB/s with virtio NIC (CPU ~ 24%).

* The CPU usage isnt acurate - i am rounding it :)

Any suggestons how increase the write speed to the SMB shares?

And pardon me if i am posting in the wrong forum!

• What kind of CPU? What kind of data drive?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• If you have the luxury of changing NIC's, Intel is your best bet followed by Broadcom based cards. Realtek & other cheapie cards are worst performing.

Any NIC made for server such as a Dell or HP is much better than consumer cards.

There are tuneable SMB parameters on client & server which may help a little.

SMB is a noisy inefficient protocol with many & implementations consider using a different protocol! No seriously! Use FTP or AFP or NFS if you can.

• If you have the luxury of changing NIC's

He runs OpenMediaVault inside a proxmox container, thus he can change between some virtual NICs.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• It turns out that the the problem is in my Fedora box!
    Windwos machines can write 3x faster but for some some reason the SMB share is slow for Fedora. Any ideas how to fix it?

NFS works exellent on Fedora.

• It turns out that the the problem is in my Fedora box!
    Windwos machines can write 3x faster but for some some reason the SMB share is slow for Fedora. Any ideas how to fix it?

NFS works exellent on Fedora.

I have the same behavior on ubuntu/linux mint. Win7 does 100MB/s, ubuntu manages to get about 30MB/s.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!