wlan needs initialisation from lan

• Hello,

I set up omv 2.2 on a raspberry Pi 2 with a wlan dongle. After reboot omv is not reachabled over wlan. I have to plug in lan cable for a moment. After that network works fine without lan cable until the next reboot.

eth0 and wlan0 have fixed IP addresses for ipv4. ipv6 is deactivated.
    ifconfig shows:
    eth0 192.168.1.21
    wlan0 192.168.1.22

After reboot without LAN cable
    ping 192.168.1.21 and ping 192.168.1.22 works but not ping 192.168.1.1 (other computer in network)

With plugged in LAN cable all 3 addresses are reachable.

After unplugging LAN cable only 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.22 are reachable.
    Ping to 192.168.1.21 fails.

I think there is something going wrong. Could anybody help?
    I configured the network with the web gui.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you try disabling the wired lan? It is probably waiting for an IP on the wired lan. How long did you wait to see if it booted without the wired lan plugged in?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• On your request I have disabled eth0 and reboot. The connection via wlan worked well an immediately.
    Then I have set back eth0 to the static IP address, reboot and wait about 10 minutes. I cannot connect to omv.

So there is a solution to make wlan working but I would like to have working both, wlan and lan. I think usually both should work without disabling one of it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

They should work at the same time but I have never tried it on the RPi. I also have never tried dhcp on two NICs on a regular system. What if you set both adapters to static?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure what the problem is then. I will have to try it on mine to see what the issue is.

• What does your

Code
    /etc/network/interfaces

file contain?

I seem to recall that (with raspbian) you need to disable power saving for the raspberry pi usb wifi adapter.

Could that be the issue? (I have not installed OMV on a Pi to know if that is still an issue...)

• Thanks for your recall. I haven't heard anything about that since your hint. I will test it soon.

EDIT:

I have tested to deactivate the energy save function. Therefore I put the last two lines into /etc/network/interfaces
    as follows.

This modification doesn't help. After reboot I have to plug in the LAN cable to connect via WLAN furthermore.

I have made a new interesting behaviour while testing the issue.
    I have tried to connect to omv with my browser after reboot and without LAN cable.
    There were no connection and ping didn't reach my RaspPi.
    Then I plug in the LAN-Cable for a few seconds and try to connect again. In my browser the login mask were shown and some pings reached the RaspPi.
    Then I pluged out the LAN cable and tried to log in and ping again. That didn't work. I had to plug in the LAN cable again.
    After login I could plug out the LAN cable without loosing the connection.

Because the thread is not the youngest I want to remember that the wifi connection works smoothly if the LAN interface is deactivated.
    I think the issue does not rely on power saving features but the idea was good.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!