Need advice on server hardware

• Hi I'm currently running out of space to add more hard disks to my server and I'm looking to get something where I have enough space to attach up to 20 (or a bit more) hard disks and handle more load in the near future.
    I use it mainly for downloads and Plex. Looking at around a 50+ TB of storage (ext4) most of which are videos and not worried much about data loss.

What would be the best option here, a server rack I'm guessing? If so what hardware would be best? If I could get some recommendations that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

• Offizieller Beitrag

While they don't make it anymore, I found my Lian Li PC-D8000 on eBay. I have 20 3.5" drives, 6 2.5" SSDs, 3 DVD drives, and an LTO6 tape drive. You could add more drives to it with the 120mm fan to 4 3.5" drive adapters.

Otherwise, you could look at the 24 bay Supermicro cases that older but easy to find on eBay.

Bilder

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The Lian Li looks great, ill try getting that if possible. I'm not too familiar with racks so I don't know if I need to get a separate motherboard/processor for this? And if so which would you recommend?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The Supermicro system I linked to has the motherboard/processor. Otherwise, you could put just about any motherboard/processor in it. Really depends on your needs. If you want 20+ drives, you will need an HBA or two.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I'm worried that the AMD processor and 16 gb ram on that won't be able to handle 50 TB of storage along with 5 concurrent plex streams...
    and the motherboard uses DDR2 RAMs, wouldn't it be better to go for DDR4?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If plex wasn't transcoding, the processor and memory would be fine. The amount of storage means little. Serving files doesn't take that much memory or processor. Transcoding is different and requires lots of both.

For that price, the motherboard is free. You could swap the motherboard out. DDR3 or DDR4 would be fine.

• I see. So does each hard disk connect directly to the motherboard to a SATA port? If that's the case any motherboard will be able to take in HBA right?
    Sorry for my noobness..

• Offizieller Beitrag

On my system, I have onboard sata ports and an hba (builtin to motherboard) that drives are connected to. I also have two pci-e hba cards that have two mini-sas ports per card. I have mini-sas to quad sata cables so one cable can connect to four drives.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!