Device with N/A capacity

• Dear all,

in my physical disks, is one disk shown as capacity N/A (see picture). It is there sdj.
    I tried to wipe it in the GUI as also with in SSH.
    I only get the error in GUI:

in SSH by using fdisk with

Code
    fdisk /dev/sdj

I get:
    fdisk: unable to open /dev/sdj: No such device or address

The disk is a 1.2GB HDD - dont ask why I use such a small and old one. ;)

Thats the first problem. Than I thought, maybe a disk crash, by opening SMART > Devices I get:

Code
    communication failure

That error I also get somethimes when I try to open the filesystems overview.

What can I do? What informations can I give to you?

Thanks for your help

Regards.

• Thats an old IDE disk, pluged in with USB converter.
    In another system the disk will be found.., so a hardware failure would not be reason I think.
    The disk is from an other system, where the board broke.
    About the reason to use such a small, old, slow disk, just I have my reasons.

OMV 2.2.1 @ AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+
    OMV 2.2. @ Banana Pi M1 (only for testing)

• its another debian jessie system

Dont ask which one it is...
    The most of the other disks are using the same sort of converter.

Do you someone have an idea why connection failure is during opening SMART?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you someone have an idea why connection failure is during opening SMART?

For that particular disk? or for all the disks?

For that 1.2GB disk IDE? is it mechanical drive? find it hard to believe it can have smart attributes. When did you purchase that jewel? or what model/brand is it? IIRC smart came along maybe around 9-10 years agofor consumer drives.

Anyway when you connect drives through usb the smart attributes fetch need to be called in a special way by smartctl. ATM i cannot recall if you need to change this default or omv recognizes the device as usb adapter and executes the proper command. There was a thread about this a few months ago I'll have to dig it.

• Thanks at first,

The SMART problem is, when I try to open in the WEBGui in SMART the disc tab. After loading a few secondes a Communication failure is the final result. It depends not on the IDE disk we talked about.
    Last time I could see the SMART - disc list all discs where found....But know with that failure I can not say. I think the time out in the webgui is to short to handle all discs.... Maybe it is possible to set the timeout time higher?

The 1,2GB disk is a seagte ST31276A if it can SMART I thats not the problem, just why there is N/A in the device list. In another debian jessie system as also win 10 it is found and mounted.

By the way, I forgot to change my footlines, The system is now a AMD Atholon XP 3000+. The ARM system was to slow to handle such amount of disks.

• It would be nice if you can post the what I should do. I looked in the forum but I could not find what you said. Maybe the wrong search words.

Thanks for your help

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!