Connecting OMV PC to ethernet causes internet loss for other devices

• OMV 1.0
    • Connecting OMV PC to ethernet causes internet loss for other devices

Hi,

Ive had a strange problem develop over the last 3 weeks or so. I was losing internet connection randomly with laptops and pcs around the house. It was slight at first, then it gradually got worse.

I updated my firmware on the ASUS rt-ac 56r router I have around this time.

I thought it was my Time Warner Internet, so i called them, they sent new modem. Still problem persisted.

I then began disconnecting single items from the network to try and isolate it. I even took my switch out of the equation altogether and plugged everything to the ports on the router.

I have discovered that its my NAS pc. If I plug the NAS up to the back of the router, the internet drops on my windows pc as well as any wi-fi devices. If I unplug the ethernet cable from

the back of the router, my internet connection returns on those devices.

I can access the NAS locally from other devices.

The NAS is on a statip ip connected to the router that has dhcp enabled and both modem and router are in non-bridged mode. Firewall is on in the asus router. (I had it bridged with dhcp off so I could access nas remotely until these problems started).

Running Kralizec 1.19 on the omv and using an INTEL nic instead of the on-board lan.

I should also note that the lan port light constantly blinks when i hook the nas ethernet cable back up to the router port. I wonder if a service has caused this issue such as ssh, etc

The post was edited 1 time, last by forLooped80 ().

• Does the onboard nic ones shows the same behavior ?

i have seen similar problems before here in the forum. I remember a user ended up changing his nic, assuming it was faulty.

i would recommend you to update the kernel to backport, you can do that with omvextras with a press of a button. That would push kernel driver module to a new version.

Check also the exact model of the intel
      card to see if there is an update to the driver outside of the kernel tree, that you build/install manually.

I would also recommend to examine the running process list to look for any dodgy process that might look like malware. The most common one is a process with no word name, is just random letters like "yahqjfiqjd"
      New wiki
      chat support at #openmediavault@freenode IRC | Spanish & English | GMT+10
      telegram.me/openmediavault broadcast channel
      openmediavault discord server