External Disk USB 3.0 very slow speed

• Hello everbody,

i'm using OMV since 1 year and i am pretty happy - great OS. Nevertheless, the inevitable happened and i can not help myself so i need your help ;)

As backup drive for my RAID i'm using a 3 TB external disk with USB 3.0 formatted with ext4. This worked fine until now...i don't know why it changed.
    Within the PC i have a USB 3.0 PCIe Card with 2 USB (external) Ports (Transcend TS-PDU3).
    Unfortunatly, copying big data (e.g. several gigabytes ~20, tested with rsync -aP) is very very slow. In the beginning it starts with 120 Mb/s but after a few seconds it decreases down to 8-12 Mb/s. In case of small files it is much less.

I proofed the disk by plug in to my laptop. There it's copying with a usual speed of 80-100 Mb/s. Also SMART values looking good. Hence, i would say the disk is fully functional but my NAS has any problem with USB 3.0 ??

What else can i do?

Here you can see some outputs. I have no idea what i have to look for... :/

dmesg | grep -i usb:

lspci -nnk | grep "USB controller" -A2:

lsusb

Code
    root@MyNAS:~# lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 174c:55aa ASMedia Technology Inc.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

uname -a

Code
    Linux MyNAS 3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt25-2~bpo70+1 (2016-04-12) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks and cheers,
    ikaruz

• I have to correct myself....

I tested the external drive again with Windows and NTFS. It's just copying with 35 Mb/s.
    May the disk is broken? 35 Mb/s is USB 2 speed, isn't it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep, sounds like it is connecting at usb2.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yes, it does. But it's not plugged in USB 2, it's a USB 3.0 Port.

I played a bit and figured out that my other USB 3.0 disks (Transcend and Samsung) worked fine with a speed of 70-80 Mb/s. Additionally, i used my Linux on my Laptop and formatted the disks to ext4 and tried again to copy a big file... AGAIN a speed of 35 Mb/s, the same like with Windows.

Why do i just reach 35 Mb/s? Is it possible that the controller of the USB 3.0 enclosure is broken? And why do i just reach 10 Mb/s at my NAS?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The driver that Linux uses may not be optimized for the usb controller and forces it to connect at usb2 even though it is usb3. Hard to say since I don't use many usb hard drives.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!