How to interpret enormous log files which prevent GUI login?

• On a new OMV install with only the OMV-extras plugin, I have nearly 20Gb of log files. The have filed the OMV install HDD and are now preventing GUI login. This occurred overnight as I tried to secure wipe a disk.

The largest offenders are:
    kern.log @ 8.9Gb
    syslog.1 @ 5.8Gb
    syslog @ 3.2Gb

What is the best way to understand and deal with this situation?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What kind of error messages are you seeing?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Before I rebooted, the console was displaying a list of errors, mostly I/O. However I can't seem to find them in the logs. Running tail on the last 150 lines of each of the files mentioned doesn't show anything unexpected - mainly reboot information and out of space errors. Is there a more efficient method of searching for something, other than going line by line through GB of text?

• Offizieller Beitrag

First of all, I would delete syslog.1. Anything happening is probably still producing errors in syslog. The fact that kern.log is large is bad. What is the i/o error?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Code
    cat <file> | grep 'error'

'error' could be any message you are lookung for.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!