System Backup - Clonezilla option failed.

• Hi all...

OK, so I thought I'd better backup my OMV system drive after I saw that some updates were available.

Normally, I use System-->Backup-->System Backup and rsync the OS to a folder on my RAID 1 mirror.

Today, I thought I would try the Clonezilla option.

So, I clicked the Install button and the installation window shows that it was trying to download http://downloads.sourceforge.n…ive-2.3.1-18-i686-pae.iso but failed - I cannot recall the error exactly, but essentially OMV could not resolve the URL (not sure why - I can download that file on another laptop, so perhaps the sourceforge mirror redirection failed..???)

Anyway, I am now in the position where clicking the Install button again just gives me:

Code
    Generating grub.cfg ...
    cat: /boot/grub/video.lst: No such file or directory
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64
    done
    Done...

If I now click on the Clonezilla button to set grub to boot from the (missing) ISO, then I get this:

Code
    Configuring grub to boot once from Clonezilla iso...  2
    Generating grub.cfg ...
    cat: /boot/grub/video.lst: No such file or directory
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64
    done
    Done...

But, when rebooting the Clonezilla option (which does appear in the Grub menu) does not work - the error is:

Code
    Booting 'Clonezilla Live'

error: unknown filesystem.
    error: you need to load the kernel first.

It then returns to the grub menu with no other boot selection selected (this NAS runs headless, but I do have an IPMI, so I can see the video...)

So.

I suspect that the "Install" button has registered a "success" flag somewhere even though the ISO has not downloaded.

Firstly, how do I get this to work :)

I can see that /boot has a 0 byte clonezilla ISO file there... I presume that overwriting it with the good version I downloaded on a laptop would cure this?

As a future feature, it might be nice to have an "uninstall" feature to remove that ISO and / or perhaps use the same approach as the Parted Magic option: point to a .ISO elsewhere, because later versions of CloneZilla are available now and the original fault might be due to a mirror removing that "old" version (this is not known, it is just a guess as to why the original download failed).

(On that point, if I just copy the latest .ISO to /boot, will the "Install" button work that same??

Secondly, after booting to clonezilla failed, is there a way in grub to set the normal OMV boot option? Then, if it all failed, a headless install would reboot normally.

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have two options:

1 - Remove clonezilla
    rm -f /etc/grub.d/42_clonezilla
    update-grub

2 - Manually download the clonezilla iso to /boot/
    cd /boot
    wget http://gigenet.dl.osdn.jp/clonezilla/64590/clonezilla-live-2.4.5-23-i686.iso
    Edit /etc/grub.d/42_clonezilla for the version you downloaded
    update-grub

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks ryecoaaron - I've recovered with the original version, booted, backed up the OMV system drive, rebooted and everything's working well.

I'll try the newer version next time, but for now, at least I know how to handle any future failures... I might even try this on my other Linux boxes ;)

Thanks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!