How to partition and use OMV system disk for user data

• Hello Community,
    I found OMV before some days an it's nice.
    Debian with a web-based config engine.
    I hate using the Thecus own system on my Thecus because it's too restricted.

During the installation of OMV I found some points I will later describe them all.

But first here: Why you are not creating the partitions as you want before you install?
    For my system I wasn't able to boot after install, I think this is because of the system partition was more than 20GB.
    Why it's not possible to do the partitioning during installation?
    Because of the file "\install\preseed.cfg".
    I commented out the whole block after
    # This makes partman automatically partition without confirmation.
    and was able then to do the partman steps as I want:
    Device Size Used Free Use% Mountpoint
    /dev/sda1 479M 39M 415M 9% /boot
    /dev/sda2 6,1G 1,1G 4,7G 19% /
    /dev/sda3 23G 45M 22G 1% /home

Yes, i have no swap, I think, 2 x 2GB of Ram should be enough for a NAS server.

Regards from Germay
    tha-frog

Running OMV 3.0.32 (Erasmus) with default kernel (Linux 3.16.0.4-0-amd64),
    with omvextrasorg 3.3.10 from a 32GB Sata-DOM on a Thecus N5550:
    Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D2550 @ 1.86GHz // 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 // 4 x WD Red NAS Hard Drive 3 TB

• You are right, the OMV ISO does not let you customize the install.
    But you can do an OMV on Debian set-up instead. Install debian with what ever disk set-up you wish than install OMV. Do a search here on the forum for instructions .
    Very easy and customizable . Work very well too.

Sent from my phone

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Hello
    vl1969,
    yes you are right, it's possible to install OMV on a previously installed Debian.
    But if you unpack the OMV Iso to a Folder (line an USB Stick), then you can modify the file "\install\preseed.cfg" like I wrote :)

Running OMV 3.0.32 (Erasmus) with default kernel (Linux 3.16.0.4-0-amd64),
    with omvextrasorg 3.3.10 from a 32GB Sata-DOM on a Thecus N5550:
    Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D2550 @ 1.86GHz // 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 // 4 x WD Red NAS Hard Drive 3 TB

• Sure, but why bother. I mean you have to unpack ISO, edit file and than pack it back into ISO or on a bootable USB.
    When you can simply do an OS install, and then run couple of command in cli.
    But to each is his/her own

Sent from my phone

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Hi, I Just tried doing this 3 times without any success. I followed the directions, but now OMV does not boot. After I resize /dev/sda2 and re-position the linux-swap /dev/sda3 near it using GParted, OMV no longer boots.

Also, maybe worth mentioning, Im installing this on a 2014 Mac Mini. But I had OMV running on it for months without any problems with installation and usage whatsoever. It's just that I No longer want to be wasting a 500GB SSD on a 2GB OMV install.

So what am I missing

Thanks in advance!

• Hmm, I did the exact solution. Now I have:
    /dev/sda1 12GB
    /dev/sda2 1791MB
    /dev/sda5 1791MB Swap
    /dev/sda3 ..the rest..

But now I can't boot. I get the following error message on boot. The FAQ in Gparted does not help me.. and not google ether... please help :) [SOLVED see below picture]

[SOLVED]:
    - Reboot.

- When the (initramfs) pops up, run "fsck /dev/sda1 -y" and it works like a charm. :)

Yea, i think the swap-partition needs to be on an extended partition. If you follow the instructions that is what you get..

Newbie on OMV... not so new on hardware/software in general, started on the "14.400 bps"-era. Windows-guy, eger to learn more linux.
    - pfSense and OMV is my next thing for small office usage.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von rudis ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!