Losing network connection over time, reboot is the only fix every time

• Hello,

I've been reading a few threads I saw in this 'network' sub forum, but I'm not sure my issue is similar. I can't do omv-firstaid (see below) and I'm not sure backports kernel will help since no hardware has changed and it was working fine for many months previously.

Since installing some updates AND changing isp, I've had omv become unreachable after a few days, only fixable by powering off the omv box then powering up again. I'm using omv 2.1.x (can't check right now because it's unreachable). I thought rather than restart it and wait a few days, I'll leave in unreachable in case someone has a bright idea!

I highly doubt it's the updates - this box has been working fine for almost a year and never had this issue. Since going to a new isp a month or so ago, this has been happening. The physical change was swapping the old isp router and settings for the new one. I've set up a static IP in the new router as best I could (it's terrible). I can't get to OMV-firstaid at the moment because I can't reach the omv box. This means I can't ping it properly, can't log in to web interface, can't get ssh via putty, and this is all from my desktop windows pc. I have an android phone on the WLAN and it also can't access any of the ports for any of the services I have installed (Plex etc) so it's not just this PC.

Any thoughts appreciated. I'm happy to restart the omv box, but then I'll have to wait another few days for it to happen again. The way I can tell it has happened is my windows PC is scheduled to make system image backups which it stores on the omv box weekly. Sometimes it beeps at me telling me it can't located the network drive, and I immediately know the issue has happened.

• Thanks for your reply (is this who I think it is?!)

I restarted the router a couple of times, but this doesn't fix it. Restarting omv definitely does, but I don't want to do that yet in case I can do some more troubleshooting while it's unreachable.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There have been two threads in this forum that i recall from users that end up with their home network completely unstable every time their NAS server was up. One of them end up adding pcie network card and disabling onboard one, i assume the onboard card was faulty.

If you have another SOHO router in hand you can try and put the ISP router modem in bridge mode and use the other one to connect.

• What hardware are you using ? (my motherboard had no connection when I restarted, installing realtek-firmware package solved it)
    You can also try to use the backport kernel, see if that fixes your isssues.

When you can access the machine, start analysing your logs and dmesg output, see if you can track as much info as you can like hardware failures, crashing software, etc.

(ps: yes votdev is the main dev on omv, and every of his commits are a blessing, kifflom)

I'm using an onboad nic, but the reason I don't think it's hardware is that my omv was working perfectly fine for ages. The only hardware that I know has changed is the router. Trying out another router and putting the isp one in bridging mode is a good idea, I will try that when I can. Is there anything else obvious that I could have missed? Even if the OMV box was on an ip address within the DHCP range of the router (which it isn't), the leases are 24 hours, and the problem takes longer than that to occur.

P.S. I can't believe votdev replied to my post! 8o

• Sorry I'm not being clear! I do think it's hardware, but the router not the omv box!

You're right though - one never knows. I'd be happy to try restarting the interfaces though I don't have local access sadly - I run the box headless.

• I am having this very same problem and I have no idea what is going on. I did not change anything. I was actually on vacation and on May 11th, while I was using Plex remotely, the server became completely unreachable.
    Once I came home, I noticed that I could connect to everything fine from within the home network. I then realized that the server had no outside internet access. The only way I could get internet access to the server was to restart the machine (I restarted all other network hardware as well, but only restarting the machine helped). Everything was fine, but shortly thereafter, the OMV server lost internet again, although intranet was still fine. All other devices, wired and wireless are not having any issues, just the OMV server. Any ideas?

• Forgot to mention. My issue is exactly the same as OP is describing, only difference for me is that I am on OMV 1.19. And like I said, I had not changed anything as I was not even home when the problem began. I did have quite a few updates that I did AFTER I started having this problem to see if that changed anything, which it did not. The only thing that gets my internet back is a hard restart and only for a little while before it goes back out.

• I don't know if this helps or not, but I just noticed that on my router, when I look at all the devices connected to the router, the OMV server will be there, but once it loses internet it disappears from the list - even though i can still connect to the server through any device on the local network.

• Well, I think I might have fixed my issue. I had forgotten that I was playing around with OpenVPN settings and made the bonehead move of using the same range of IP's for OpenVPN clients as the static IP's on my local network, creating a conflict, and the router was just not having that. Changed the range of IP's and walla! Server has internet.

So, not sure if we are having the same problem, but the OP should check this if he is using OpenVPN, and sorry for hijacking the OP's post.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!