OMV in VM with Plex/Kodi

• I've got a PC with Linux and VirtualBox.
    So, I wish to install OMV in a VM.
    The PC has HDMI port and I wish to configure OMV with Plex.
    In your opinion, then I will be able to see the videos correctly?
    Should I expect any special configuration?
    And if I install Kodi, as I prefer?

To improve performance I thought I configure a VM disk as a pointer to a second hard drive or in a partition of the first hard drive.
    In this way I'll install the video in the real disk.

OMV, inside the VM, would see the disk as a single file system. With two hard drive, OMV would see two virtual disk to create a RAID1 volume. It's correct?

Thanks in advance for your help. :thumbup:
    ==============
    1 USB Stick Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (USB 3.0 90MB/s Read - 30MB/s Write)
    2 HDD WD Blue 320GB RAID2
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

• Offizieller Beitrag

No. In order for a VM to show video how I think you are describing, you have to pass the video card through to the VM. This is difficult in virtualbox. ESXi would be better for that as long as you have the right video card (not an onboard HDMI port).

If you want kodi on a TV, buy an RPi and put OpenELEC on it.

Not quite sure what you are trying to with the hard drive to increase performance.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was assuming OMV was the host and it doesn't work if OMV is the host. Most of those questions aren't OMV questions if OMV is not the host.

Passing an entire drive through to a VM in virtualbox is a pain in the ass and I really haven't seen performance gains from it.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Hard Disk:
    Starting with a /home large 1TB I can create a 900GB Virtual Disk. VB creates a Vdisk wide 10MB and then enlarges it only when necessary.
    This is very convenient because in the meantime I can use the real drive for other things.
    If there are no problems for the performance, I can even give up using a pointer directly to the hard drive.

Video:
    This, instead, is the real problem because if I'm not able to carry the HDMI signal to the VM, then the whole project falls.

OK thanks. Now I think if the solution KODI -> VBox -> OMV is workable, because the in the VBox I should also install other things.

==============
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

• Offizieller Beitrag

I work with thousands of VMs all day long and have many at home. I understand how they work quite well. In the real world, the feel between passthru and image is not detectable (in most cases).

And thanks again for explaining everything so clearly to me...

• edit : this sub forum is called "configuration" and he is asking on how to make a debian/kodi host and an OMV VM cohabitate, and if OMV how to pass / how OMV would see the disks or virtual drives to achieve Raid inside a VM :)

The question are two:

• Problem with OMV in a VM and file systems into real hard disk.
    • In this OMV (in VM) and with the plugin for Plex (or installing Kodi), then I can play movie over HDMI port into external TV

==============
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!