OMV in VM with Plex/Kodi

• OMV 2.x
    • OMV in VM with Plex/Kodi

I've got a PC with Linux and VirtualBox.
      So, I wish to install OMV in a VM.
      The PC has HDMI port and I wish to configure OMV with Plex.
      In your opinion, then I will be able to see the videos correctly?
      Should I expect any special configuration?
      And if I install Kodi, as I prefer?

To improve performance I thought I configure a VM disk as a pointer to a second hard drive or in a partition of the first hard drive.
      In this way I'll install the video in the real disk.

OMV, inside the VM, would see the disk as a single file system. With two hard drive, OMV would see two virtual disk to create a RAID1 volume. It's correct?
      Thanks in advance for your help. :thumbup:
      ==============
      1 USB Stick Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (USB 3.0 90MB/s Read - 30MB/s Write)
      2 HDD WD Blue 320GB RAID2
      4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

My jobs:
      EOLO. Internet Wireless in Italy
      Upgrade Labs
    • No. In order for a VM to show video how I think you are describing, you have to pass the video card through to the VM. This is difficult in virtualbox. ESXi would be better for that as long as you have the right video card (not an onboard HDMI port).

If you want kodi on a TV, buy an RPi and put OpenELEC on it.

Not quite sure what you are trying to with the hard drive to increase performance.
      omv 5.0.10 usul | 64 bit | 5.0 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.1.1
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

No. In order for a VM to show video how I think you are describing, you have to pass the video card through to the VM. This is difficult in virtualbox. ESXi would be better for that as long as you have the right video card (not an onboard HDMI…

Tl;dr translation :
      Host with Kodi => virtualbox => OMV Guest
      Pass a physical hard drive to OMV for "performance" issues.

Yes, OP, you can do that.
    • I was assuming OMV was the host and it doesn't work if OMV is the host. Most of those questions aren't OMV questions if OMV is not the host.

Passing an entire drive through to a VM in virtualbox is a pain in the ass and I really haven't seen performance gains from it.

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
    • Hard Disk:
      Starting with a /home large 1TB I can create a 900GB Virtual Disk. VB creates a Vdisk wide 10MB and then enlarges it only when necessary.
      This is very convenient because in the meantime I can use the real drive for other things.
      If there are no problems for the performance, I can even give up using a pointer directly to the hard drive.

Video:
      This, instead, is the real problem because if I'm not able to carry the HDMI signal to the VM, then the whole project falls.

OK thanks. Now I think if the solution KODI -> VBox -> OMV is workable, because the in the VBox I should also install other things.
      ==============
      4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

My jobs:
      Upgrade Labs
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

I was assuming OMV was the host and it doesn't work if OMV is the host. Most of those questions aren't OMV questions if OMV is not the host.

Passing an entire drive through to a VM in virtualbox is a pain in the ass and I really haven't seen performance gains from it.

I really love VirtualBox and VirtIO but there, in fact, is a "loss", that's why the default config (of VB's VMs) cheats a little on how to honor fsyncs :P (you can bench a VM and its' host, and have better perf on the VM) but then, enjoy the halving on perf if you do a lot of sequencial reads, it's a matter of compromise :)

To answer OP, passing a raw partition to a VM is better (performance wise) than having a "disk image" mounted, that is relative to what virtualisation technology you use, but I can assume a good 99% (xen kvm vb and esxi)

edit : this sub forum is called "configuration" and he is asking on how to make a debian/kodi host and an OMV VM cohabitate, and if OMV how to pass / how OMV would see the disks or virtual drives to achieve Raid inside a VM :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by symphony ().

• I work with thousands of VMs all day long and have many at home. I understand how they work quite well. In the real world, the feel between passthru and image is not detectable (in most cases).

And thanks again for explaining everything so clearly to me...

• symphony wrote:

edit : this sub forum is called "configuration" and he is asking on how to make a debian/kodi host and an OMV VM cohabitate, and if OMV how to pass / how OMV would see the disks or virtual drives to achieve Raid inside a VM :)

The question are two:
      1. Problem with OMV in a VM and file systems into real hard disk.
      2. In this OMV (in VM) and with the plugin for Plex (or installing Kodi), then I can play movie over HDMI port into external TV
      ==============
      4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

My jobs:
      Upgrade Labs
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

I work with thousands of VMs all day long and have many at home. I understand how they work quite well. In the real world, the feel between passthru and image is not detectable (in most cases).

And thanks again for explaining everything so clearly to me...

I'm sorry to see you took something bad, I do work with "thousands" of VM also, for a french hosting company, do I have to play that game too ?

There's a reason to describe why passing on a RAW partition is faster than mounting a virtual disk, it's called AR-GU-MENTS, it helps people easily understand what you argue for, just saying..

"the feel between passthru and image is not detectable (in most cases). [...] And thanks again for explaining everything so clearly to me..."
      You forgot we were not just the two of us ? By far, you're the last person my posts were trying to reach, I barely am answering to you.

You're not answering right to this topic, then you keep answering but what for ? Why you're so angry ? Get back down to earth mate, you're not serving OMV.

I'm simply off this community, how retarded it is for me to argue on why I correctly responded to someone and CORRECTED o' lord Ryecoaaron... mate, you need to land really...

So, I will try to make it clear for you to understand, you need to get those feet one in front of the other and repeat; get outside, breathe, get back when you're not so butthurt, I'd also advice you to start looking for a new job, maybe you stood for too long at the same place, but you've come to the point you're using your "highly valuable experience" from work not even knowing the person you're answering.

That is just plain sad lil' rye rye, when you assume something out of me, you're just making an ass out of U and ME, really really disapointed rye rye =/