Partition system and Partition data in the same disk: I can´t mount data partition

• Hi

I try to build my NAS, but I only find problems.

Now, I want to use the same disk (120GB) to system and data. I follow that tutorial: Re: [Howto] Store data on the boot disk (Method 1, 2, 3)
    I got partition my disk: data about 90GB and system about 20GB. However, when I want to mount the data OMV has an error. The error is

Failed to mount '7f1f7dde-ff60-46f9-81ef-7089a9830771': mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda3, missing codepage or helper program, or other error In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so

Error #6000:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to mount '7f1f7dde-ff60-46f9-81ef-7089a9830771': mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda3,
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so
    ' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/fstab.inc:90
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(206): OMVModuleFsTab->startService()
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/filesystemmgmt.inc(900): OMVRpc::exec('Config', 'applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #5 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceFileSystemMgmt->mount(Array, Array)
    #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('mount', Array, Array)
    #8 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('FileSystemMgmt', 'mount', Array, Array, 1)
    #9 {main}

I don´t understad why appear this error, because I follow the tutorial exactly as it write....
    More information, the hard drive is IDE and the capacity is 120GB. It is good health.
    Could anyone help me?
    I don´t want to waste 90GB....

Regards

• Thank you, the problem is solved!

Now, I have another problem. I want to do a RAID 1 (mirror), but I can´t see any device. I have a hard drive 120GB (8GB filesystem and 98GB data), a har drive 120GB and a hard drive 400GB. I can´t see it...
    So, what can I do?

• When you press create on Fs section isn't there a drive to be formatted?
    are they displayed at the physical disk section ?

Hi

No, nothing for formatted

This is my physical disk

This is my File System (right now, I only have sd1a and sd1b mounted, but I checked with all my disk mounted and it doestn work)

And this is my RAID configuration

I´ve try by two method:
    1. I mount all my disk on File System. Then, I try to create RAID, but it doesnt appear.
    2. I only mount one disk on File System (sda: sda1 10GB, sda2 98GB). Then, I try to create RAID, but it doesnt appear.

• Formatted drives are not available for making a raid. You need to wipe them first. At the physical disk section there some buttons that erase Fs.

Thanks, I understand now.
    But, I have another question....
    I cant make a raid with a sdb( all hard disk) and sda2 (only the data part), can I ? That is to say:
    physical hard disk dev/sda: sda1 filesystem, sda2 data
    Physical hard disk dev/sdb: sdb data
    I want to make a raid with sda2 and sdb

Thank very much

• You should be able. But mdadm behaves very strange sometimes especially with disks with partitions, most common issue is the array gets lost at boot. I would recommend you Just to use one disk and keep the other as a mirror using rsync daily or weekly.

Thank you.
    I will use one disk (20gb) for the system, and the others disk for the data...
    I waste one IDE/SATA socket....
    I´ve read It dont recomend install the system on USB stick because It is Linux and it is reading and writing all time, is it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Uou have to take into consideration that most consumer MB come with 4 sata ports which is not so much for some people, so the OS takes one sata. So for some cases I guess is good to use usb stick to not spare a sata port.

I use a sata ssd, and i have one free sata port. But in the future i wouldn't mind using a usb stick if i get two big data HDD's and i am in the need for a sata port.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!