Installing OMV, Kodi, VDR ...

• Hi,

Just trying to setup a Media-server ... planed to setup OMV, Kodi and VDR but have no plan how to do it in the best mood

there are different variants for the basis:

- ubuntu -> kodi simple, omv?
    - debian -> home of omv, kodi?
    - omv -> is there a documented and structured way?

What is the best and the easiest way to succeed

Grüße aus Berlin

Micha

Q29000-ITX
    omv 4.1.8.2 | 64 bit | backport kernel | omvextras

• Omv have vdr plug in, but do you plan to use the same hardware as your htpc, since you want kodi on it.
    If this is an all in one machine, than your setup will be a bit complicated since you will have to run kodi as host and figure out how to do vm there.
    If you do build a dedicated media server and have kodi on a separate mavhine than it is easier.

Let assume case 2, a dedicated server and a kodi client.

#1. Setup omv on the server.
    Do updates.
    #2. Install extra plugin package.
    #3. Now this step might be optional but you might want to switch to a backport kernel to run newer tools and stuff.

#4. Once all of the above done, install vdr plug in, and what ever else you need/want on the host. Setup shares, samba and/or nfs.

Also you might want to look into using snapraid and mergefs to have some data safety and make a storage pool from all drives to look like a single share. This are available via plug-ins and work great.

#5 setup and configure kodi and point it to your new server as media source

#6. Enjoy.

Sent from my phone

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Let me be more explicit:

I started using kodi on a Raspberry with LiveTV / IPTV, wanted to same weird things with vdr and pssst ... OSCAM ... came to the point, that a raspberryis a little weak for all these issues ...

... took a PC from the shelf and came to the question in the thread. Thought that it will be a good Idea not only to use it as a mediacenter, better will be to use it as a nas and replace later on ... if it works ... the setting on my production server (what big word for my home nas) or use it as a Backup source.

Q29000-ITX

• Gotcha, its that when you said media server I assumed you want to serve stuff to multiple devices. I have been attempting to setup a multipurpose server for home some times now. Couldn't decide what and how.
    Finally come upon an omv thread that looked interesting, tried out in a vm and that was it.
    So now I am building out the whole setup live.

But in my case it us a dedicated server. No user interaction except client connections. I run kody on a dedicated htpc and client only mode. No data is on the htpc.
    I am not even sure how to setup sharing/serving on kodi. Sorry.
    Now with Plex it is definitely possible.

Sent from my phone

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Installing Kodi on OMV is not recommended, OMV was not designed for this. You will have to install an X-Org server and so on. Could break things.
    With that said, I understand you currently have a RPi on hand ? Why not use it as a media player, with files stored on your new PC?

For the VDR side, I can't help you, I'm not using it, and never had.
    Could be of help to know that you also can install a headless kodi (via docker) on your OMV server to take care of all the infos scraping. Maybe you can also use it for VDR purpose ? (If somebody with that knowledge could step in, that would be great)

• Two reasons:

- the server is a little underemployed, putting him near my media center seemed to be clever
    - kodi with vdr, livetv and ... squeamish people might look away ... OSCAM is to much for a RPi 2, there was massive flickers and dropouts

so i thought adding a media server to my omv could be a good move. I'm wondering if using a server like ubuntu, installing omv, kodi ... is more flexible

Q29000-ITX

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm wondering if using a server like ubuntu, installing omv, kodi ... is more flexible

OMV doesn't work on Ubuntu unless you run it as a virtual machine.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Installing Kodi on OMV is not recommended, OMV was not designed for this. You will have to install an X-Org server and so on. Could break things.
    With that said, I understand you currently have a RPi on hand ? Why not use it as a media player, with files stored on your new PC?

For the VDR side, I can't help you, I'm not using it, and never had.
    Could be of help to know that you also can install a headless kodi (via docker) on your OMV server to take care of all the infos scraping. Maybe you can also use it for VDR purpose ? (If somebody with that knowledge could step in, that would be great)

Is it feasible to install a headless kodi via docker on a Raspberry as well? Is there a docker image available for this architecture?

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 4 utilizzando Tapatalk

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!