Post your UTM / Firewall / Router box!

• I retired my trusty old Alix 6f2 some time back when my ISP upped our fibre connection and I have used a Lanner FW7535 since then. Our ISP is just about to up our connection again, so it looks like it will be time to upgrade once more.

I will post a write up here once the build it complete. I thought, however, in the meantime it would be good to see what others use :)

So post your routers / firewalls / UTM's and say what you use them for / with!

I'll start:

Lanner FW7535
    pfSense
    Snort, OpenVPN, AV, Ad-blocking
    Used with: 160Mbit Fibre

• Offizieller Beitrag

Compulab fitlet-X-lan barebone (amazon)
    pfSense 2.3
    Routing/ssh
    60Mbit cable

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The fitlet has all Intel NICs too :)

Idk why, but for some reason I expected you to have a street light dimming corporate UTM ;)

LOL. Actually, I don't have any corporate devices running. My router is the fitlet. I have an Archer C7 v2 router running OpenWRT for wireless. My two switches are TrendNet green metal body switches. Other than the amount of hard drives in my server, my server and desktop are efficient Haswell chips.

According to Mr Kill-a-watt, my server, desktop, two switches, router, wireless, desktop monitor, cable modem, and cable phone modem, use 290 watts total. I even just replaced most of the lights in my house with LED bulbs or LED fixtures dropping from 1600 watts of incandescent to 195 watts of LEDs :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• @ryecoaaron When I see those numbers I know it is finally time to get everything switched over to LED.

I've been changing my gfs light fixtures over the last couple weeks and using LED. I guess it is do for others and not yourself. :(

• I try to keep things as low power as possible, but I don't always get it right. ;) my server for example, probably could have been a little more energy efficient but... whatever ;)

I'm still using fluorescent tube energy bulbs - haven't even made the jump to LED yet :D

I like those Archer routers - I've just recommended one to a friend who got miss sold a linksys and has had a lot of issues with it. I used to use (and have toyed with every now and again) an Asus router, but I have totally gone off Asus, even with dd-wrt. I decided some time back to just do the modular approach. My current Net/LAN setup is:

ISP Cable Modem/Router in Modem Only (Modem is a Cisco so I have been told) > Lanner > TP-Link SG2210P > Unify AP-AC-PRO

I have no idea what the lot suck, I've never checked them.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The lights we use the most - living room and kitchen - went from 160 watts and 150 watts to 12 watts and 24 watts and brighter :)

The Archer C7 v2 running OpenWRT is the best router I have owned. My laptop routinely connects at 867 mbps through a floor and wall at 10m.

• We mostly have 40-60w light equivalent energy savers, I think they actually draw about 11-14w but obviously aren't brighter also. I'm sure i'll get round to LED at some point but when is another question.

That C7 sounds better than I thought it would be. Glad I recommended one of those then :D

Possible new router:

Mobo: ASRock N3700-ITX - £89 Amazon
    Chassis: e-Mini E2010 - £40 eBay
    PSU: PicoPSU 160W + Power Brick - £35 all in - eBay
    HDD: 16GB mSATA SSD with adapter board (already owned)
    RAM: Kingston KVR16LS11/4 (4GB DDR3L-1600) - £12 eBay
    NIC: HP NC360T from my old N54L (dual Intel NIC as the on board Realtek will suck with pfsense) (already owned)
    Other stuff: PCIe x 1 to x1 riser (ribbon cable) - £1.40 eBay

Total cost: £177.40.... hrm... tempting. Wouldn't be as small as I would like it to be, but I should think I'll max out the Cisco modem (~450Mbit) before it needs replacing.

(me hovering over the order button)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you authorize with the wife?? :D

• Damn, I knew I forgot something! ;) Yeah I did mention it briefly and I just got a remark along the lines of "I don't care as long as the whole thing doesn't fall over when I'm in the middle of working, streaming a series or Skyping". To me that was a total green light :D

• My box:

Akasa Euler http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&type=Chassis&type_sub=Mini ITX&model=AK-ITX05-BK
    Motherboard: Intel DQ77KB http://www.amazon.com/Intel-De…55-mini-ITX/dp/B00840BACU
    Processor: Intel core i5-3470T 35W
    6 Gb Ram / SSD 60 Gb

SOPHOS UTM 9.4 Home (Web Protection / Wireless Protection / Network Protection / Webserver Protection)
    120 Mbit Fibre

• Oh wow. That Akasa Euler is sweet :D nice setup

• Well, I went ahead and grabbed the lot I listed above. Pretty pleased I did too, because that e-Mini E2010 was the last one in stock and I couldn't find anything like it for the price (PCIe slot but no internal PSU room to keep the size down). Found a few like it, but not for £40.

Now this is me:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Despite the fact that I order 99.9% of things online, I am really quite impatient waiting for new toys to arrive.

Just checked my line... for some reason Midori isn't playing ball with the upload part of the beta speedtest site (no flash), but it looks like we've been upped overnight...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hrm... Wish my setup would fit in this: http://www.mini-box.com/M200-LCD-Enclosure

Why won't it? I had two of those enclosures (minus LCD) at my last job and I don't see anything in your list that won't fit.

• Despite the fact that I order 99.9% of things online, I am really quite impatient waiting for new toys to arrive.

Just checked my line... for some reason Midori isn't playing ball with the upload part of the beta speedtest site (no flash), but it looks like we've been upped overnight...

Nice...which Speedtestsite is it? Never seen before...

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!