Unable to install OMV on Debian

• I'm installing OMV on last version of Debian Wheezy.

Code
    Distributor ID: Debian
    Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 7.10 (wheezy)
    Release:        7.10
    Codename:       wheezy

I've created /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list with:

Code
    deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public stoneburner main

Then:

Code
    wget -O - packages.openmediavault.org/public/archive.key | apt-key add -
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault

but I get this error

Code
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     openmediavault : Depends: postfix but it is not going to be installed

What I wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help. :thumbup:
    ==============
    1 USB Stick Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (USB 3.0 90MB/s Read - 30MB/s Write)
    2 HDD WD Blue 320GB RAID2
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

• Offizieller Beitrag

These are the instructions I have been telling people to use for a long time:

Code
    echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public stoneburner main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault
    omv-initsystem

The key is to install postfix before OMV.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank you. I followed the guide, but these instructions there are not:
    How to Install OpenMediaVault over Debian

Now I've the Postix Configuration.
    What should I choose? No configuration? Internet Site?

Then there are questions about other options?
    There is an updated and complete guide?

==============
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von whitetiger ()

• I've installed OMV, but now I've other errors with plugins (after installing omvextra)

==============
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

• I had exactly these same problem which made me give up trying to install omv on debian.
    i would like to install omv on either ubuntu or debian. ubuntu was way too complicated. Debian was a cropper because the guide and steps were not for the same version of omv i.e. 2.x
    Problem is most of the guides are for old versions of omv and the changes between the versions are significant and the one you linked to jsut does not work for me. I don't know how it worked for the poster.
    I wish I can help update these guides but I am not competent technically and others who are, are just leaving the workload to the moderators. Its so frustrating - at least for me.
    Perhaps we all need an attitude change?

I have donated. have you?
    OMV 2.2 running on HP Gen 8 G1610T server, 16GB RAM + Xeon E3-1220

• Offizieller Beitrag

To be honest, I don't recommend installing over Debian if you need a guide. Here is the official guide which is up to date.

The questions that are asked are normally just answered with the default because OMV will re-write the configs anyway.

The dirtymodules error is fixed with this.

OMV does not work on Ubuntu no matter what you do. Don't even waste your time.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• In another message I asked if it was possible to use VirtualBox in OMV for an application and with the answers seemed like there were more problems than solutions.
    To install directly OMV is not possible because the disk is 500GB and we can not waste all this space.

At what point is the development of OMV 3.0? There is an estimated date, although approximate, of its release?
    With version 3.0 we can install OMV on a hard disk without wasting space 1TB?

==============
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von whitetiger ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

To install directly OMV is not possible because the disk is 500GB and we can not waste all this space.

This has been answered so many times here at bugtracker, etc, is true that the installer uses all the space in a single OS, but you can either partition the disk using debian installer (then install omv on top), or fire gparted after omv is installed to resize the disk an allocate a second partition for data

With version 3.0 we can install OMV on a hard disk without wasting space 1TB?

It won't change in 3.0

I just did an omv install over debian for 20th time using the official guide that I don't know why is at the bottom, there is absolutely no issues, except for dirtymodules...but is beta so i guess a bug report should be submitted.

I am going to make that guide sticky.

• One moment, please!
    In the instructions to install directly OMV is clearly written that all space is reserved for OMV.

So, If after installing OMV on a 1TB drive and I can still create shared folders on this disk, then the space is NOT wasted!
    If the disk is used only by the system, then it is mandatory to install OMV on a smaller disk (now impossible to find) or FIRST to install Debian, and THEN to install OMV on this disk.
    In this way I can partition the disk in appropriate ways.

But if this is the only mode to not waste disk space, then I hope that with 3.0 Installing OMV I'm able to reserved some space to OMV and other space for shared folders.

Returning to OMV in Debian:

• How much space do I have to reserve for OMV and its extra plugin?
    • I can create only root and swap partitions or it is better to separately create other partitions as temp, var, etc?

Thanks to everyone

==============
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

• Offizieller Beitrag

But if this is the only mode to not waste disk space, then I hope that with 3.0 Installing OMV I'm able to reserved some space to OMV and other space for shared folders.

With voice and arguments here bugtracker.openmediavault.org

How much space do I have to reserve for OMV and its extra plugin?

That depends, my estimate is 6-8GB should be enough, a clean install is about 800MB. But you always tend to put garbage in the rootfs like building/compiling and/or downloading applications.

The whole idea of a separate system disk if is that the OS goes wrong you have to only reinstall and having separate data disks means there is no risk of losing that data by overwriting/wiping the partition with the installer.

• The whole idea of a separate system disk if is that the OS goes wrong you have to only reinstall and having separate data disks means there is no risk of losing that data by overwriting/wiping the partition with the installer.

And so we return to the starting point. Two disks or two partitions?
    Currently OMV is with a single partition that it takes the entire disk.
    So if I do not want to waste 1TB, I must first install Debian, then OMV on Debian

==============
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

• Offizieller Beitrag

So if I do not want to waste 1TB, I must first install Debian, then OMV on Debian

No. You can resize the partition and create another one using gparted.

• Forgive me all of you, but you still do not answer me.
    OMV installing directly on a single hard drive, I can still create shared folders and use it entirely?

No. You can resize the partition and create another one using gparted.

OK, this is a first solution, but unfortunately it is not the best solution.
    In the last six months, after an OMV update, there have been various problems that have forced me to re-install OMV.

After partitioning the disk, as you suggested, the new installation would keep the partition or it would still be used the intere HD, and thus destroying the data partition?

==============
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, if you create an addition partition on a system with one hard drive, you can create shared folders on it.

I disagree that it is not the best solution. If you are re-installing because of problems, then you are doing something wrong. You need a backup.

I don't understand your last question. If you install OMV, shrink the OS partition, and create a new data partition, OMV won't destroy anything unless you tell it to.

• I disagree that it is not the best solution. If you are re-installing because of problems, then you are doing something wrong. You need a backup.

Matter of principle I agree with you, but if the problems are related to an upgrade went wrong and if this happens several times in a few months, I can not stop every time everything for hours with a restore.

In any case, IMHO, we are all starting from a wrong point.
    The question is very simple: today, even SSD disks have large capacity and also the smallest USB stick have 32GB. Soon these will have 64GB.
    So, no longer makes sense to reserve the entire hard to OMV and then force people to change the configuration.

As soon as possible I return I will experiment with a new OMV server.
    For the moment I thank you all for your cooperation and patience.

==============
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!