Need help mounting a mergefs pool

• Hello, I have setup an omv server for home.
    I want to use snap raid and mergefs to protect my data and have a single volume pool available for data share.
    I installed snapraid and unionfs plug-ins

Setup snap raid. created mergfs pool.

Now I understand that omv like to mount all into /media folder usung uuid. I want to have a friendly name for my mounts.
    Questions I have are...
    Can I use a Sim links to refer to in /mnt. ?
    ie. /mnt/storage, /mnt/data. etc

How do I create this Sim links and set proper permissions to them?

Thanks VL.

Sent from my phone

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can create symlinks using the downloader plugin. You can't set permissions on a symlink. They will use the source folder's permissions.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• perfect , will try as soon as I can.

kind of not too intuitive using downloader plugin to create simlinks don't you think :-).

also while I am here, is there a good way to transfer files between local disks on the system.

I have a bunch of disks installed on the system already with data on them.
    I also have some disks that are empty and/or new.

I am setting up an snapraid array + mergefs pool on the empty disks now
    and want to move all the data from other disks to the new pool than wipe the old ones and added to the array/pool

is there a simple way to do this? I do mean a manual transfer since I will have to sort and relocate many of the files to new folders etc but is there a plugin I can use to let me do this in GUI like way.
    similar to total commander maybe, one side windows FROM enouther side TO and navigate and move/copy at your leisure :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

kind of not too intuitive using downloader plugin to create simlinks don't you think :-).

Yep but I was too lazy to make a new plugin. The downloader plugin had a few things I needed to save time. It will be its own plugin on OMV 3.x when I get it done.

also while I am here, is there a good way to transfer files between local disks on the system.

rsync
    WinSCP
    command line via ssh

is there a simple way to do this? I do mean a manual transfer since I will have to sort and relocate many of the files to new folders etc but is there a plugin I can use to let me do this in GUI like way.
    similar to total commander maybe, one side windows FROM enouther side TO and navigate and move/copy at your leisure :)

Try WinSCP

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I am getting lost here :)

I understand "rsync"
    but "command line via ssh" to local disks ?
    and isn't "WinSCP" a windows program?

maybe my question was not as clear as I thought.

what I meant to say is :

I just setup my OMV 2.2.4 server.
    I added some harddrives to the server.
    I have
    1 x new Toshiba 3TB
    2x WD 1TB not too new but empty
    5x 2TB mixed samsung and toshiba empty

I also have disks with Data on them that are also installed and mounted on the server but not part of snapraid or mergfs pool

1x3TB + 1x2TB btrfs raid-1 pool
    AND
    1x2TB btrfs single disk

I want to move/copy all the data from this devices and tan wipe them and add to the snapraid/mergefs pool.

it would be a lot of efforts to do this via rsync or ssh as I need to sort and rename lots of files.
    is there a graphical tool I can use for local copy.
    I can mount them on my main PC via samba or nfs and go that route but this would be transferring them via network. not local disk to disk

• Offizieller Beitrag

WinSCP connects to the box and gives you an explorer style window that you can drag & drop stuff. When you do that in WinSCP, it will be local on the server (doesn't copy the files to desktop and back).

In reality, you could just add all the drives to the pool and organize via samba share. I think samba would treat the moves as local since it would think they are on the same disk. Then it wouldn't copy the files to your desktop and back.

• Thanks guys,
    I tried rsync tonight and it seams to do the job.
    Had to copy paste input and output targets as they point to omv uuid mounts, but other than that worked fine for a bulk copy.
    I figured I move everything to new protected shares and than do cleanup there when ready.

Sent from my phone

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!