Is OMV for me?

• Hi... New to forum...

Just wanted some feedback to see if OMV (+ plugins and which ones) will be a good fit for my use case - home media storage and backup.

1. Media storage for streaming - to LG Smart Tv, an iPad, Galaxy tab and nvidia shield TV.
    2. Backup location for 2 laptops (documents, family pics, various files)

firstly, I'm concerned about data safety. Have read various sites/blogs/posts about snapraid and how good it is (c.f. Freenas and btrfs nas solutions) for a home use case. Also having a '"pooling" file system like mergerfs, Aus or mddfs (spelling?).

i have some Linux experience so learning curve is not too steep compared with freenas.
    One query I have with use of snapraid is the changing files but the numbers wouldn't be great on a weekly basis.

advice?

• not sure if OMV is for you :)
    but I have just build out the home server for pretty much the same use.
    and I am suing SnapRaid + mergerfs for my data storage.
    the only issue I have so far is that it seams I am loosing some space on my mergerfs pool volume.
    I have about 8.47 TB total of drives for data pool but I only see 5.46 on the pool fs
    not sure if it is snapraid or merferfs got the data

I run snap raid syn/scan every night
    SMART tools are scheduled by OMV as needed

I also converted the OMV install to a bootable RAID-1 setup using raider script

as for plug-ins, well
    SnapRaid and mergerfs(union filesystems) is already there
    I also install Downloader plugin as you can use that to create a symlinks via GUI
    and eXtplower is handy to have.
    since I want to use btrfs system I needed a back port kernel so an omv-extra repo is a must.

I also want to keep the host system clean so VirtualBox plugin to run all other things in VM.
    like I plan to load up an OMV VM with remote mount plugin to do streaming form there.
    you can load Plex and/or Emby for streaming, take your pick.
    FYI! DO NOT load owncloud on main host! build out a VM and load it there. just mount the share in VM for data use.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von vl1969 ()

• If you are familiar with Linux what are you waiting for?

tekkb, some times it is not being familiar with something that's the trigger.
    I consider myself a noob by many standards yet it never stopped me.

• You guys will get plenty of help here. Read Volker's sig about not having fear. Just do it! If you have so much fear you do not try new things you will never learn. You learn from failing. It is OK to fail.

• like I said above , never stopped me.

have been runinng my setup for a week.
    nothing there yet except my data
    and a test vm with flawless 2.5 server
    but still I feel good. I can access this remotely (direct access with port forwarding in the router for now)
    and I can see the shares on my local machines (shares are not exposed to we web) and watch movies of it.
    so far I love it.

= openmediavault information
    ================================================================================
    Release: 2.2.4
    Codename: Stone burner

================================================================================
    = System information
    Linux atlas 3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt25-2~bpo70+1 (2016-04-12) x86_64 GNU/Linux

= Uptime
    13:04:08 up 6 days, 15:22,

• I think OMV is the best NAS software for people new to Linux. Good support and lots of information on the forum already.

I love OMV because it saves me a lot of money versus a Windows Server OS and accompanying software. Very happy with all the plugins too. Like the Media Server plugins a lot as well.

• I tell you even more,
    I think OMV can be/is a pretty good general use Virtuallization server as well.
    I really hope some one is working on KVM manager plugin that we can use.
    VirtualBox is good but having a KVM option will add to the satisfaction factor and maybe performance factor as well.

this is what I am building out.
    a general purpose File server/NAS and Virtuallization host that is manageable with WebUI.
    so we have no desktop to slow things down and yet still have a capable GUI to minimize CLI use.
    OMV meets those requirements for 95% - 98% for me

I want to keep the main OS (one that seats on the metal) as clean and streamed-lined as possible.
    running only bare essentials tools and services. everything else is in VMs.

• @tekkb - I have dived in! I have it installed on a test system (with 3 hdds where 1 used as parity + 2 for content/data PLUS the 1 hdd for OMV itself) at the moment for testing purposes.. Am reading up on snapraid and mergerfs... My only "concern" with snapraid is for any scripting requirements.. but the plug-in GUI interface has options for Sync and Scrub etc so I'm a bit perplexed about people's use of scripts for these tasks...

I haven't installed mergerfs yet but will do so this week and then Plex and then see how it all goes.

Will then need to figure out Windows backup to OMV.

The thing I like about OMV (+ snapraid) is (a) the use of separate drives and able to pull out and put in new ones (b) the corruption protection feature... I like freeNAS being real-time protection but am really unsure how I'd go administering a freebsd system... although the freenas forum is very friendly and active!

Still, I'd like to give OMV a go.

May have to post back about correct set up etc

• There is no scripting requirement.
    People use scripts simply to streamline the process. There is several scripts that run several things at once. Things that otherwise you would need to schedule one at a time and figure out when to start and stop etc. Scrip can do in proper order monitoring start and stop points etc.
    It just make it easier for you.
    Do a search here on the forum for snapraid and script.
    I will post the script I use , later

Sent from my phone

• You should read this about making a media share before you setup plex.

How to make a good Media share for Emby and PlexMediaServer

I use Acronis to backup my Windows machines to a Samba share.

The purpose of the plugins is easy install, configuration and uninstall. We also try to make buttons, or something more complex if needed, for things that might normally have to be scripted.

OMV makes it fairly easy to get things going for people new to Linux. But over time you should slowly build up your command line skills. It is really needed in Linux in general.

You might was to use webmin for file management until your skill are better:
    http://www.webmin.com/deb.html

• tekkb: thanks for that link... easy enough read. I've followed the steps and have created shares on 2 HDDs. All good, can see shares and write to these. :)

Now if I want to use mergerfs (with snapraid) instead, the steps are a little different though aren't they?

Edit:
    Acronis.. Nice.. I have a version of that handy! Will give that a try.

Regarding mergerfs - I've installed this and set up the share, etc and installed Plex and configured that too.. all working nicely!! Checked CPU usage playing to Samsung Tab 4.. only got to 14% on the mp4 I tested.. will have to throw a mkv file at it and see how that goes. Added music library and content and played on Smart TV without issue.

I'm liking OMV... a lot.

• IMHO you do not need webmin.
    don't get me wrong, I like webmin and used it on many occasion before but OMV have all the functionality you need that webmin will simply duplicate.
    for file management you can install eXtplower plugin right on OMV. does the same thing.
    also add the shellinthebox for web based cli access.

BTW here is the script name I use for cron job "snapRAID_helper.sh" I am attaching it here. download it, change the extension to sh and you can run it as is. don't even need to change anything. it will find all your snapraid drives and run scrub and sync on them.

there are several other similar scripts other read up and choose one if you want, or simply schedule snap raid process you want to run when you want to run it.

Dateien

• tekkb: thanks for that link... easy enough read. I've followed the steps and have created shares on 2 HDDs. All good, can see shares and write to these. :)

Now if I want to use mergerfs (with snapraid) instead, the steps are a little different though aren't they?

well obviously it will be different but not much.
    you are mixing several things here, it is not ieather/or situations, you CAN simply share folders and files directly from the disks you have regardless if you using snapraid and/or mergerfs.

you can do the same if you just use snap-raid, which is totally independent tool from mergerfs.
    you can use mergerfs on it's own as well totally independent from snap raid and completely unaffected
    by your shares and such.

no for the matter at hand, you can actually have both, a normal shares directly from any of the drives on your system AND a mergerfs pool of said drives as a single volume that you than can share.
    or even you can have a mergerfs pool volume from which you would share specific folders just as you would do from a regular drive.

Snap Raid - provides you some protection from loosing data in case of hardware(drive) failure.
    MergerFS lets you combine and access multiple drives into single volume that you can use as if it were a normal single drive.
    other than that you can use any and all of this tools together or independently as you see fit.

in my case I have a SnapRaid setup to protect my data using 2x3TB drives as parity drives (since parity disks must be the biggest of the bunch) and 4x2TB + 2x1TB as data drives.

I than, using mergerfs pool all of my data drives (4x2TB + 2x1TB) into a single volume called MainShare.
    after that I create shares,
    using SAMBA
    I have a temporary share pointing to the MainShare (called intuitively enough MainShare :) ) this will be removed after I am done with all my playing and configuration.
    I also have a share /Media which points to the "Media" folder on the mergerfs volume

I have the same shares setup as NFS as well use with my HTPC and data processing VMs

• vl1969: Great! Thanks for that!

I'll have a look at the script and other plugins you mention.

All coming together nicely!

forget it, I just check and this script does not really work well with the newest snapraid version. it was used on version prior to 7 does not work well on versions 7 and up.
    I forgot to include the script in email notifications and only now checked the logs.
    it works but gives lots of incompatibility errors.

if I find more updated script I will post it here.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why not use the script included with the snapraid plugin? The settings are even in the plugin. You just need to schedule /usr/sbin/omv-snapraid-diff to start at reboot.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I honestly did not know about it :)

I just tried it and I still get bunch of errors and warning but they are not to bad.

• Why not use the script included with the snapraid plugin? The settings are even in the plugin. You just need to schedule <code class="inlineCode">/usr/sbin/omv-snapraid-diff</code> to start at reboot.

I'll have a look at this on the weekend... Cheers!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!