OMV Install - Moving from FreeNAS possibly

• Hi

First. Yes I have read certain threads pertaining to upgrading. I just would prefer some other specifics.

I am new to OMV and currently have a FreeNAS 9.3.1 box running. Besides the FreeBSD and Debian Linux difference, is there anything else that is much different with respect to the underlying or basic concept of each server?

It looks like each has pretty much the same features and allows for the same overall goal....a NAS to backup your data. Is there anything in particular that I should be aware of that is I guess radically different? I been using Linux since 1998, so the CLI and and the Linux (OS) as a whole is nothing new whatsoever to me.

I have four (4) 3TB Seagate HDD's I want to install for storage alone and one 64GB SSD for the OS itself. I don't want to create a RAID array of any type, but rather just use the 4 drives like a JBOD setup....each as it's own storage drive. Can this be done with OMV ?

My intent is to get OMV up and running and then transfer data from the FreeNAS box to the OMV box.....perhaps keeping both servers for the time being.

My last question. Which filesystem do most users go with? For a NAS, I have only used ZFS with FreeBSD and with my Linux boxes, EXT3/4/JFS, however, having not used a NAS solution via 'Linux', I would like to get some advice on what would be most appropriate. I know the ZFS requires more memory I was told and I have 16GB which should be enough for any FS I would think.

I don't intend to keep my machine on 24/7 but just have it on 'as needed' when actively backing up files.

Thank You

Tim
    ARS N944LA

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't used FreeNas in ages... but essentially, you're right, they are the same in giving you a way to back up data, etc. Nothing really radically different, it's a NAS. The Plug-In feature, which adds features to the OS, is pretty awesome. Take a look at omv-extras.org if you haven't already to get a look at the 3rd party plugins available (although on the new website, it seems like 90% of them aren't listed).

JBOD is very simple to setup and just fine if you want to use it.... I use ext4 on all my drives, so you'd be fine on that, but I think just about any Linux filesystem would be fine. As you mentioned, these are definitely not the resource hogs that ZFS is.

Only other comment I'd make, is make sure the SSD you have supports trim. Even if it doesn't, the excellent flashmemory-plugin in omv-extras will reduce the writes on the drive significantly and save it from an early death (my SSD supports trim, and I use it anyway)

I greatly prefer Linux to BSD, so when OMV came out, I was happy to make the switch from FreeNAS

• Hi

Thank you for the information. It is exactly what I was looking for. I prefer Linux as well in any situation, so I will definitely install it. I just downloaded the stable version and will have at it.

Last thing I wanna do is bring up the competition I guess...lol...however, I am not in any way looking to drum up any kind of 'this is better than that' type of deal. I honestly prefer the user interface (GUI) for OMV over the FreeNAS.

The SSD does support TRIM. I got it for $25.00 on sale so I hope it's somewhat reliable. It's an OCZ Trion 150 which is 120GB ... My bad...I thought it was a 64GB model.

EXT4 is it then. I currently run Mageia, Mint and Slackware for my Linux boxes. I also have a ClearOS 7.2 Home Essentials firewall/server/gateway/router, etc. - based on Linux Mint. It's along the lines of Zentynal...which I use elsewhere. Only 2 Windows 10 machines here....the laptop I am on (dual boot w/ Mageia Linux) and my GamePC which is Win 10 64

Thank you for all your information.

Tim

• Trim does not seem to be enabled by default, I have no discard option set in my fstab (I run my NAS from a 120GB OCZ Trion 100). Smartctl doesn't seem to report TBW on my system, but the erase count attribute is still 0 after 2700 hours power on time, that means I haven't even generated half the capacity worth of writes (60GB), at which time this attribute should change to 1. I think you would be unlikely to ever see write endurance limits reached either through log files being written or write amplification from lack of hardware trim especially when only 2.1GB of 120GB is used. I think the oldest SSD I own which is now in my HTPC only has about 7 TBW in 5 or so years.

For your four drive non redundant array consider unionfs. It is like a virtual mount point that merges the contents of the disks together, and writes to disks based on an algorithm (such as which drive has the most free space). If a drive fails or you pull it out, you lose only the data that was on it but you don't have deal with having a heap of different mount points and shares. You can easily add or remove drives as you please, so it's a lot better than LVM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!