Is OMV3 (Erasmus) still in beta or is it considered stable?

• @ryecoaaron Thanks for the quick reply, So far it seems workable. I skiped the VM test as I have real hardware with no data that's dying to be put on it, so I'll try it out for a while with just the plex server and see how it does....

@tinh_x7 I was hoping they would be reliable, I'm not a WD fan but other places on the net said they were good - we'll see I guess. So far they are staying cool (~30C) with only a slow fan on them. The whole thing is only drawing ~30 -35 Watts with the disks in raid 1 rebuilding, I can live with that. What disks did/will you end up switching to?

@tekkb I installed erasmus and everything has gone well except the WOL plugin fails.... tried several things, apt-get update, etc. to no avail. found a Russian based thread that said there was a typo in one of the files forget which but it was a ] that needed to be changed to [ That didn't help either. found another thread similar to the error I was getting that said to run: omv-engined -d -f of which the notable output was:

PHP Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required 'openmediavault/object.inc' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/wol.inc on line 21
    So I had to apt-get remove wakeonlan and that fixed to problem.

So far I have installed the omv-extras, flash memory and plexmediaserver and all seems ok - I have yet to enable / further setup plex however. Is couch potato or sickbeard working in this version yet? - I've tried looking at: https://bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers website, but I don't know what to make of it.
    I have yet to find a clear list of what plugins are working for erasmus.

Bogie

• No way that it is stable. Installed it clean from latest 3.* image, updated all to latest using web-interface, now I'm stuck with this:

Failed to connect to socket: Connection refused
    Error #0:exception 'OMV\Rpc\Exception' with message 'Failed to connect to socket: Connection refused' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:138Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(95): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Services', 'getStatus', Array, Array, 3)#1 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()#2 {main}
    Error #0:exception 'OMV\Rpc\Exception' with message 'Failed to connect to socket: Connection refused' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:138Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(95): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('System', 'getInformation', Array, Array, 3)#1 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()#2 {main}
    Error #0:exception 'OMV\Rpc\Exception' with message 'Failed to connect to socket: Connection refused' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:138Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(95): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Services', 'getStatus', Array, Array, 3)#1 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()#2 {main}

• Offizieller Beitrag

See your other post. OMV 3.x itself is stable. Some of the plugins that haven't been ported will not let omv-engined run making you think OMV is not stable.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That's not true, I had a clean OVM 3, and already errors appeared when I ran the 'OS' updates in the webinterface, so..
    Why not have the working/tested plugins marked as safe for OVM3? I didn't see a warning or something..

Is there a way to uninstall plugins on the shell? The webinterface is not working anymore. Seemed like fairly innocent plugins, stuff I would otherwise have installed on shell anyway. Sigh.. beginning to think I need to do a clean debian, just like our normal servers, and then maybe get your plugin for syncthing to run in a docker or something..

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is true. I install OMV 3.x multiple times per day most days. There are harmless errors that people worry too much about. Commercial NASes just hide the errors. Whenever you install a php or nginx update, nginx and/or php5-fpm need to be restarted. This generates communication errors until the service is restarted. This is almost impossible to avoid but harmless.

As for the plugins, that is my fault. I have left the plugin not compatible with OMV 3.0.13+ in the repo because quite a few users are still using OMV < 3.0.13. That is why I said it is stable with the ported plugins. The list is always changing hence the lack of a list. OMV 3 is still developing. I have been using it for months but my systems are setup and not changing much.

It is very easy to remove/uninstall plugins from the shell. Remember OMV is just a frontend for shell commands. I posted the remove command in the other thread - apt-get purge openmediavault-wol

I really think you just need to be more patient. Once a server is setup and working, very little needs to be changed and that is when it shines. If you are installing things all the time, stability is reduced. This happens on all server - Linux, Windows, etc.

The plugin only works with OMV. There is no way for it to work with docker. Sorry.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• It is true. I install OMV 3.x multiple times per day most days. There are harmless errors that people worry too much about. Commercial NASes just hide the errors. Whenever you install a php or nginx update, nginx and/or php5-fpm need to be restarted. This generates communication errors until the service is restarted. This is almost impossible to avoid but harmless.

I'm sorry but I would have to disagree on that. I realize I'm using extras-testing, but I think having SSL is a major requirement for access from the outside. So I tried this 1 plugin over a new clean OMV3, and immediately fall into that same hole:

Reading package lists...
    Building dependency tree...
    Reading state information...
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    git git-man liberror-perl
    Suggested packages:
    git-daemon-run git-daemon-sysvinit git-doc git-el git-email git-gui gitk
    gitweb git-arch git-cvs git-mediawiki git-svn
    Recommended packages:
    patch
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    git git-man liberror-perl openmediavault-letsencrypt
    0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 4563 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 23.6 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Get:1 http://ftp.surfnet.nl/os/Linux/distr/debian/ jessie/main liberror-perl all 0.17-1.1 [22.4 kB]
    Get:2 https://dl.bintray.com/openmed…velopers/erasmus-testing/ jessie/main openmediavault-letsencrypt all 2.3 [11.2 kB]
    Get:3 http://ftp.surfnet.nl/os/Linux/distr/debian/ jessie/main git-man all 1:2.1.4-2.1+deb8u2 [1267 kB]
    Get:4 http://ftp.surfnet.nl/os/Linux/distr/debian/ jessie/main git amd64 1:2.1.4-2.1+deb8u2 [3262 kB]
    Fetched 4563 kB in 0s (9033 kB/s)
    Selecting previously unselected package liberror-perl.
    (Reading database ... (Reading database ... 5%(Reading database ... 10%(Reading database ... 15%(Reading database ... 20%(Reading database ... 25%(Reading database ... 30%(Reading database ... 35%(Reading database ... 40%(Reading database ... 45%(Reading database ... 50%(Reading database ... 55%(Reading database ... 60%(Reading database ... 65%(Reading database ... 70%(Reading database ... 75%(Reading database ... 80%(Reading database ... 85%(Reading database ... 90%(Reading database ... 95%(Reading database ... 100%(Reading database ... 32733 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack .../liberror-perl_0.17-1.1_all.deb ...
    Unpacking liberror-perl (0.17-1.1) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package git-man.
    Preparing to unpack .../git-man_1%3a2.1.4-2.1+deb8u2_all.deb ...
    Unpacking git-man (1:2.1.4-2.1+deb8u2) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package git.
    Preparing to unpack .../git_1%3a2.1.4-2.1+deb8u2_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking git (1:2.1.4-2.1+deb8u2) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package openmediavault-letsencrypt.
    Preparing to unpack .../openmediavault-letsencrypt_2.3_all.deb ...
    Unpacking openmediavault-letsencrypt (2.3) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.0.2-5) ...

>>> *************** Error ***************
    Failed to read from socket: Connection reset by peer
    <<< *************************************

Either way, I now have a weird Error dialog window I can't close, and the entire web-gui is locked up because of that. It says [Error] Communication error. So, I can have all the patience in the world, but when this keeps happening with the install of just the first crucial plugin I would like to use, it has nothing to do with patience. When I look in syslog, this might be of interest;

Jul 23 14:58:21 sugar monit[815]: 'omv-engined' restart on user request
    Jul 23 14:58:21 sugar monit[815]: Monit daemon with PID 815 awakened
    Jul 23 14:58:21 sugar monit[815]: Awakened by User defined signal 1
    Jul 23 14:58:21 sugar monit[815]: 'omv-engined' trying to restart
    Jul 23 14:58:21 sugar monit[815]: 'omv-engined' stop: /bin/systemctl
    Jul 23 14:58:21 sugar monit[815]: 'omv-engined' start: /bin/systemctl
    Jul 23 14:58:21 sugar systemd[1]: openmediavault-engined.service: Supervising process 6433 which is not our child. We'll most likely not notice when it exits.
    Jul 23 14:58:21 sugar monit[815]: 'omv-engined' restart action done
    Jul 23 14:58:22 sugar systemd[1]: openmediavault-engined.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=255/n/a
    Jul 23 14:58:22 sugar systemd[1]: Unit openmediavault-engined.service entered failed state.
    Jul 23 14:58:27 sugar monit[815]: 'omv-engined' restart on user request
    Jul 23 14:58:27 sugar monit[815]: Monit daemon with PID 815 awakened
    Jul 23 14:58:27 sugar monit[815]: Awakened by User defined signal 1
    Jul 23 14:58:27 sugar monit[815]: 'omv-engined' trying to restart
    Jul 23 14:58:27 sugar monit[815]: 'omv-engined' start: /bin/systemctl
    Jul 23 14:58:27 sugar systemd[1]: openmediavault-engined.service: Supervising process 6815 which is not our child. We'll most likely not notice when it exits.
    Jul 23 14:58:27 sugar systemd[1]: openmediavault-engined.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=255/n/a
    Jul 23 14:58:27 sugar systemd[1]: Unit openmediavault-engined.service entered failed state.
    Jul 23 14:58:57 sugar monit[815]: 'omv-engined' failed to start (exit status 0) -- no output
    Jul 23 14:58:57 sugar monit[815]: 'omv-engined' restart action done
    Jul 23 14:59:27 sugar monit[815]: 'omv-engined' process is not running
    Jul 23 14:59:27 sugar monit[815]: 'omv-engined' trying to restart
    Jul 23 14:59:27 sugar monit[815]: 'omv-engined' start: /bin/systemctl
    Jul 23 14:59:27 sugar systemd[1]: openmediavault-engined.service: Supervising process 6853 which is not our child. We'll most likely not notice when it exits.
    Jul 23 14:59:28 sugar systemd[1]: openmediavault-engined.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=255/n/a
    Jul 23 14:59:28 sugar systemd[1]: Unit openmediavault-engined.service entered failed state.
    Jul 23 14:59:58 sugar monit[815]: 'omv-engined' failed to start (exit status 0) -- no output
    Jul 23 15:00:01 sugar CRON[6860]: (root) CMD (/usr/sbin/omv-mkgraph >/dev/null 2>&1)
    Jul 23 15:00:01 sugar rrdcached[862]: Received FLUSHALL
    Jul 23 15:00:28 sugar monit[815]: 'omv-engined' process is not running
    Jul 23 15:00:28 sugar monit[815]: 'omv-engined' trying to restart
    Jul 23 15:00:28 sugar monit[815]: 'omv-engined' start: /bin/systemctl
    Jul 23 15:00:28 sugar systemd[1]: openmediavault-engined.service: Supervising process 6925 which is not our child. We'll most likely not notice when it exits.
    Jul 23 15:00:28 sugar systemd[1]: openmediavault-engined.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=255/n/a
    Jul 23 15:00:28 sugar systemd[1]: Unit openmediavault-engined.service entered failed state.
    Jul 23 15:00:58 sugar monit[815]: 'omv-engined' failed to start (exit status 0) -- no output

I tried searching on some of these and its possible solutions, but it's not easily solved, not even for me. And this is my job.
    After a reboot, I get this again (under the [Show details] button):

• Offizieller Beitrag

I hate to say it but the letsencrypt plugin has not been ported yet either. I guess I just need to start deleting repos since there is no good way to keep people from installing plugins that aren't ported.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have purged all non-ported plugins from all OMV 3.x omv-extras repos.

• I hate to say it but the letsencrypt plugin has not been ported yet either. I guess I just need to start deleting repos since there is no good way to keep people from installing plugins that aren't ported.

Just put a warning on the OMV-Extras page. And link to these posts. I would have understood and looked away. Now trying a letsencrypt plugin was way too tempting ;)

Anyway, thanks for the hint, a simple
    apt-get purge openmediavault-letsencrypt
    solved this one for me.
    I'll stick with the ones that are supported, like syncthing ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

No need for a warning now. Only plugins that work with the latest OMV 3.x are in the repo. Hopefully this prevents the problems.

• Offizieller Beitrag

openmediavault-dnsmasq is deleted. So, it shouldn't show up now.

• how sould I update? I read a post where you suggest to not use the command omv-dist-upgrade.
    So How I'm supposed to updatE?

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

how sould I update? I read a post where you suggest to not use the command omv-dist-upgrade.
    So How I'm supposed to updatE?

I answered this in your other post. No need to post the same question twice.

• openmediavault-dnsmasq is deleted. So, it shouldn't show up now.

Hello ryecoaaron, you wrote that dnsmasq ist deleted. Why? Is there a reason? One the homepage of omv-extras.org there it is marked as ready.

OMV 3.0.59 - Erasmus | 64 bit | 4.8 backport kernel | omvextrasorg 3.4.14
    i7 4790T | 32GB | 5*2TB RAID5 | 3ware 9650SE-12M

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello ryecoaaron, you wrote that dnsmasq ist deleted. Why? Is there a reason? One the homepage of omv-extras.org there it is marked as ready.

It isn't deleted, it just hasn't been ported to OMV 3.x. Why? I don't have time and don't want to work on dnsmasq anymore.

As for the home page, it is listed but notice it does not have a version. I will look into removing it completely.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!