OMV partition full

• this is the result

I installed mysql and nginx to start using wordpress but I configured nginx to use the usb attached drive as document root.

Can I resize the /data partition and add space to omv?

I'm mounting via fstab a remote samba share (router usb drive) via

Code
    //192.168.0.1/USB_Storage /mnt/ready_share cifs guest,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0

I don't know why this makes the "omv" partition full.
    I had issue using the "remote share" plugin as described there Mount smb share from not attached drive

• In /mnt I have the folder ready_share that is a remote samba share from a usb drive attached to the router.
    I'm mounting it via fstab with

Code
    #//192.168.0.1/USB_Storage /mnt/ready_share cifs guest,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0

How can I mount this remote share without impacting on the raspberry microSD space (so OMV and data partitions)?
    From OMV gui I see a device named mmcblk0p2 that is labelled OMV (3,18GB) that is full and another mmcblk0p3 labelled data (3,94GB) that is almost empty.
    As said there Mount smb share from not attached drive there is some issue using remote share from OMV (when I mount the remote share that has already some files in it seems to fill up all the space of the dev where I'm mounting the share) so how can I reach this share from the OMV gui avoiding the space full problem?

And why /dev/mmcblk0p3 is automatically mounted on /media/fa36508a-b3c4-4499-b30a-711dd5994225 but mmcblk0p2 (that should be the OMV partition) isn't?
    I have an usb drive attached directly to the raspberry and another plugged into the router accessed via samba share.

This will find files bigger than 10MB

I cannot understand where the space goes :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

How can I mount this remote share without impacting on the raspberry microSD space (so OMV and data partitions)?

I already told you there probably content under the mount. You can mount other local or remote devices over folders with existing contents. Probably the share was unmounted and something wrote to it, disconnect it and see if you have contents underneath. Also the /media folder should be zero, i suspect there is also content there, you can try and force unmount of the devices there to see what's underneath.

p1 is boot partition, obligatory for Pi devices for the bootloader. p2 is root partition and p3 is some data partition created probably because some users complained they could not use the SD card as storage.

• Coming back again.
    I'm trying to compile ffmpeg.
    I switched to a 16GB microsd, increased /dev/mmcblk0p3 partition using the script present in /root but I'm getting out of space on omv partition and mmcblk0p3 is still almost empty.

I don't know what is happening while compiling but how can I:

• use omv partition instead;
    • split the new space gained by the 16GB microsd between omv and root
    • Offizieller Beitrag

If you compile it in /root, you haven't changed the OS partition size. So, you will still have the same problem. To compile on your data drive with the larger partition, you will need to remove the noexec flag from the partition and then compile it from a folder on that drive.

Why don't you just upgrade to OMV 3.x (debian jessie) and use the jessie-backports version of ffmpeg (3.0.2). It should be new enough, maintained, and a lot less work.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Now I'm running OMV2, is OMV3 already stable?
    Can I migrate from OMV2 to 3?
    I'm compiling from

Code
    pwd
    /home/pi/ffmpeg

To use mmcblk0p3 (/data/) to compile is enough to remove noexec for it from fstab?

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv3 core is stable. Not every plugin is.

I don't recommend migrating unless you are very comfortable with Debian.

/home is in the os partition too.

If you don't want it mounted noexec all the time, just issue the command: mount -o remount,exec /dev/mmcblk0p3 (may have to change the device)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Ok, I will think about migration.
    About the noexec topic, I don't understand: with the command mount -o remount,exec /dev/mmcblk0p3 I make permanent the exec flag?

Ok, I can clone and compile ffmpeg on /dev/mmcblk0p3 instead of in the home.

I cannot find the mount directive /dev/mmcblk0p3 in fstab... how can I set the exec flag permanently?
    Why is noexec as default?
    this is my fstab line
    UUID=fa36508a-b3c4-4499-b30a-711dd5994225 /media/fa36508a-b3c4-4499-b30a-711dd5994225 ext4 exec,noatime,nodiratime,defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,discard,acl 0 2

This is my du scenario

sudo du -hx --max-depth=1 /
    3.0M /home
    0 /run
    4.0K /.Trashes
    8.8M /etc
    9.5M /boot.bak
    0 /dev
    16K /lost+found
    4.0K /selinux
    17K /media
    0 /sys
    52K /root
    2.3M /tmp
    16K /boot
    359M /var
    16K /srv
    4.0K /export
    93M /opt
    5.9M /bin
    1.5G /usr
    11M /sbin
    0 /proc
    595M /lib
    8.0K /mnt
    2.6G /

How can I free some space in OMV partition?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I make permanent the exec flag?

No , that command only mounts it exec until reboot or remount.

how can I set the exec flag permanently?

Change config.xml and rewrite fstab

Why is noexec as default?

No reason to have data drives on a NAS mounted with exec. Security is the best reason.

Your fstab line is wrong. If you want a drive noexec, then add noexec flag, If you want a drive exec, then subtract noexec flag.

Your directory listing just shows which directory is using the most space. It would take too much time to look for every unneeded file to trim a bit of space away. Put the card in another machine booted with gparted-live and resize the OS partition -OR- temporary mount the data drive exec and compile it on there.

• No , that command only mounts it exec until reboot or remount.

Change config.xml and rewrite fstab

No reason to have data drives on a NAS mounted with exec. Security is the best reason.
    Your fstab line is wrong. If you want a drive noexec, then add noexec flag, If you want a drive exec, then subtract noexec flag.

Your directory listing just shows which directory is using the most space. It would take too much time to look for every unneeded file to trim a bit of space away. Put the card in another machine booted with gparted-live and resize the OS partition -OR- temporary mount the data drive exec and compile it on there.

The fstab line for fa36508a-b3c4-4499-b30a-711dd5994225 comes from OMV, I add exec at the beginning of the mounting options, what should be the proper string?
    So what is the matter of the not labelled partition?the /dev/mmcblk0p3 that grow up with the microSd upgrade?
    Ok, let's try with an ubuntu machine or can I use an osx to reduce the /dev/mmcblk0p3 and increase the OMV one?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you want the drive executable, just remove noexec. Don't add exec.

I don't understand your question about the not labeled partition.

Ubuntu will work fine if you use gparted.

• Looking this image

you can see the 11,1GB partition that is /dev/mmcblk0p3 that is the one increased by the /root/resize_mmcp3.sh that has no label.

/dev/mmcblk0p3 is mounted on /media/fa36508a-b3c4-4499-b30a-711dd5994225 but is "owned" by root, I can only create folder with sudo.
    How can I eable others to write there?

Ok for ubuntu, but something working and Osx? otherwise I have to install a virtual machine to do this :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

The partition doesn't have to have a label. Being owned by root is fine. You need the group permissions to be something users can access. To make a folder, create a shared folder in the web interface then give your user the right privileges.

You mentioned Ubuntu so I said go with it. I dont know what partition resizing options are available for OSX.

• Hi, coming back with the same issue ;( I moved to OMV 3 but I don't know if is better to open e new thread or use this.
    I tried to compile again ffmpeg to try to use some configure flag to have a better performing video encoding with raspberry.
    In the middle of the compile of some libs I get the omv drive full.
    I stopped but now I don't know how to cleanup the / folder
    Any hints?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!