[OBSOLETE] nx server HowTo

• Offizieller Beitrag

NoMachine's nx server (link) is an alternative to X forwarding and very easy to install.

As root:

If connecting from Windows, just download the Windows client (link) and change the desktop to Unix and custom. This will run xterm when you login and you can run any app (gui or otherwise, may have to install libraries like gtk, qt, etc). This works very well for iceweasel (firefox), rdesktop, and vncviewer while using ssh for the connection.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi!

Downloaded and installed the nx server on my OMV, but cannot get it to work.

What I did:

Code
    wget http://web04.nomachine.com/download/4.0/Linux/nomachine_4.0.362_1_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i nomachine_4.0.362_1_amd64.deb
    sudo apt-get install xterm xauth
    sudo usermod -a -G ssh nx
    sudo /usr/NX/bin/nxserver --usercheck brodersen
    sudo service nxserver restart

Everything looks good so far, no errormessages or anything.

Then when I try to connect from my Ubuntu machine, I get: "The server was unable to make the local display available or access to the local display is disabled." after it initially logs in via SSH.
    I also looks like I am not the only one getting this: https://www.nomachine.com/foru…w-to-enable-local-display

Any ideas?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm still using version 3. Looks like the problem only happens with version 4. I will try version 4 tomorrow.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Using ssh with -CY gave the following error on my machine:
    "X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0"

Added "AddressFamily inet" and "X11UseLocalhost no" to the "/etc/ssh/sshd_config" file and restarted ssh (sudo /etc/init.d/ssh restart).

Now regular X11 forwarding works, but still not nx.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I forgot to test this out. I don't like how they got rid of the 3.5 free version and there is no equivalent version 4. Starting with version 4, it is closed source and the server uses a different port as well. So, my instructions for 3.5 are completely obsolete for version 4. I will be looking elsewhere now (x2go looks promising).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Haven't looked at Wheezy.

• Available in the repos:

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Can't tell and can't test. My root is my only machine running wheezy atm...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!