how to share root folder?

• I have the system mostly up and running, but there are a few concepts that are eluding me.

The system seems to only want to share folders on the connected drive one at a time. Do I have to add a new share for each and every folder on the drive???

This would be horrendous. I would just like to add the rood directory of the drive so everything is shared at once.

Also, Windows 7 does not see the Raspbery Pi in its network configuration. If I do a manual map network drive using the IP address of the pi and the drive folder, I can see the folder.

But, I can't figure out how to share the whole drive at once.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just put a slash for the path.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Put a / In the path field for the shared folder.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• If you mean in the Edit Shared Folders box, if I put a forward slash in the Path box, it asks me if I really want to relocate the folder. What does this mean?

The exact error is:

Do you really want to relocate the shared folder? The content of the shared folder will not be moved automatically, you have to do this yourself.

Yes / No

• Offizieller Beitrag

Make a new shared folder. The path will default to /foldername but you can change it.

• It generally isn't wise to share the root folder of your NAS. Different applications need different permissions. For example

• An antivirus like Clam needs a quarantine folder that would be unwise to be readable by your user's workstations.
    • If you have a backup folder on your NAS, you also don't want users (including you) to be able to access it routinely and potentially mess stuff up.
    • Applications like Plex, Owncloud, Transmission, etc... have their own data directories that are not meant to be accessed by users.
    • At some point, you might want to share your movie or music files with other users, without allowing them access to your tax documents or personal photo collection.

If all you want is to create a big shared folder to put everything, just create a single shared folder called data or media or whatever in the root directory. This will allow you to create other shared folders at the same level when (not if) you need them.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!