Slow Transfer Speeds on SMB Share

• Hi guys,

I just bought an HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8 G1610T.
    The following Hardware is installed:
    - 1x SanDisk X100s, 250GB SSD in the ODD-Slot, connected on Sata-Port 5 (Mainboard) => For the OS
    - 1x 4GB MicroSD-Card => GRUB to redirect to the SSD to boot from it
    - 2x 4TB Seagate NAS HDD in Slots 1 & 2
    - Rest: original equipment

The following Software/OS is installed:
    - Open Media Vault 3.0.25 (erasmus)
    - OMV-Extras3

Settings:
    - Raid: Mirror
    - HDDs are formatted in XFS
    - different SMB Shares/shared folders on the HDD

PROBLEM:
    The transfer rate in both directions (reading + writing) is very slow (up to 6MB/s).

What I did so far:
    - added SMB additional setting: max protocol = SMB3 ==> This gave speeds up to 7MB/s (wow :D)
    - upgraded to backportkernel 4.5.0 ==> increased speed up to 8MB/s
    - on windows 10 client: set autotuninglevel to disabled ==> didn't change anything
    - connected different clients directly (via switch) or via wifi to the server and tried it (no big differences)

I have the exact same problems on a DIY Server (old Esprimo P400 with i3) at my workplace, but here the speeds don't go over 11MB/s with the same changes (except that I installed backportkernel 4.6.0 recently) and the connection is over GBit Switch via CAT5e cable everytime.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks in advance :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would check the network with iperf. This should help do that.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi, sorry for the late answer... had some more issues, which I had to fix first (what I did, thanks to your help as well :D)

I would check the network with iperf.

This gives me the following output:

Code
    [ID]   Interval          Transfer          Bandwidth
    [ 4]   0.0-10.0 sec    55.6 MBytes    46.5 Mbits/sec

Client: Virtualbox with Ubuntu 16.04 on Windows 10 connected via WLAN-AC
    (On Windows, iperf didn't give any output)

• Offizieller Beitrag

46.5 Mbits/sec = slow. That tells me it is a network issue and the speeds you are seeing are as fast as you will get with the current network setup.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• as fast as you will get with the current network setup

But how can I improve this?
    The Server is connected with two 1 Gbit ports to two 1Gbit ports of the Router (Fritzbox 7362 SL) with Cat5e cables.
    The Notebook I'm testing it with is connected via Wifi.

• Hello, i have the same configuration with little exceptions, first thing that i need to tell you is that if you test your configuration from a notebook over wifi you will never get max speeds because of the wifi network adapter of you notebook, and the second opinion is that the 2 connection from your server to the 2 network ports of the router if is not well configured it will slow the speed. On a windows 10 machine conected on same switch via gigabit cable i get about 90 Mb/s read and write speed, on the notebook ( a ThinkPad x220 with a Intel centrino advanced-N 6205) i get over wifi some 10 Mb/s, and another notebook with a broadcom adapter i get about 6-8 Mb/s.
    So my advice is to test on wired network with a good gigabit network adapter.

• Hi @cooldjmc,
    It's the same with one or two cables connected to the server...
    You're right, over cable, I get around 90MB/s as well, but I'd love to get at least 10MBs via Wifi as well... any way there to manage this?
    I'm using a Lenovo T450s with Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 and Windows 10

• @IWillTry

I had this problem too with wireless connections. If you have an AC Router then try setting the mode from mixed to AC only. I jumped from ~5.4 Mbps to 23 Mbps just by changing the wireless router mode. If your drives are formatted btrfs you can also get an improvement setting vfs objects = btrfs in the smb.conf file

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Oglark () aus folgendem Grund: Change vfs type to vfs objects

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!