How does one set a fixed IP address for OMV? (on RPI3)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now that is just lazy...

System -> Network -> Interfaces -> Edit and switch to Static.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I am not lazy you pompous ass. (http://forums.openmediavault.o…php/User/4556-ryecoaaron/)

I already tried that and bricked my network access and had to reinstall.

If you can't keep a civil tongue in your head, then don't bother replying to us lowly minions...

Not everyone is a (self proclaimed) Linux God like you.

And, if I had ANYTHING resembling documentation, I wouldn't be forced to prostrate myself before you on this forum to get simple answers.

• I know it's hot outside (at least here in Austria) but come down with your language...
    Just have a look how you started your thread. Fortunately I'm not an admin here otherwise I would delete it immediately like in other forums. If you need help than ask in a proper way and not with a rude question: "Anyone?, anyone?"
    It's like if I go the mechanician and say: "my car doesn't start, why, why, why?" There's a good saying: we reap what we sow" and that's what you got from @ryecoaaron
    Next time explain what you did, how you're setup is and so on....

If you have problems with a fixed IP address within OMV than just use your router to assign a fix address for your server. Sometimes this is the better way instead of using a fix ip address within OMV. Just leave DHCP on your server enabled and the router should use a fix address. So your OMV-server is always available with the same ip.

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Offizieller Beitrag

I agree with you on the lack of documentation but I don't have time or motivation to do documentation. I said lazy because a quick google search turned up this link and we get a lot of questions on the forum where people don't search first. Sorry you took offense to that but I didn't call you lazy. I said the question was lazy but I still responded with an answer. If my suggestion didn't work then there are too many missing details about your network to give a better answer. And this has nothing to do with Linux. Once you find the location (which I pointed you to), you set the static IP the same way you would in Windows.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I apologize for the outburst, http://forums.openmediavault.o…php/User/4556-ryecoaaron/.

I have owned computers for longer than most of you have been alive, but I know nothing of Linux. I cut my teeth on a DEC PDP8 in 1972. However, I am a Hardware Engineer and not a programmer. I am just tired of being dismissed as irrelevant just because I may ask an obvious (to you) question once in a while. I do try to search the forums first, but it's very difficult to find anything specific in this manner. Forum searches are usually less than enlightening, unless you know exactly what you are looking for.

I did try to set the OMV settings to fixed IP address, but it only resulted in no IP address at all. And, in the System/Network/Interfaces tab it showed nothing in any of the fields for Eth0. I have tried to reset it again and it seems to be working. We'll see when I reboot.

And, http://forums.openmediavault.o…ex.php/User/3872-Huberer/ , That was an attempt at humor. It's a line from an old movie. The fact that you didn't get the reference does not mean it was in any way intended as rude. And yes, you are right, I should have put in more information other than "It doesn't work".

I do have another question you could shed some light on. I started a thread on it but got no replies. It involves an error that I get sometimes when I hit the Apply Changes click box. It gives me an error something about Monit. See Error on Configuration Apply

• Ok, I see but maybe write down that it's a line from an old movie. Maybe only a few know this movie and the line....
    Good to here that you could solve the problem with the fixed ip address. Maybe it's also a matter of using an old kernel. Did you upgrade to the latest backport?
    If there're still problems try to use the way via your router, that it should assign a fixed ip to the server

Accoridng to the other problem @ryecoaaron answered already

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Alternatively, if your router supports it, you can set the IP address assigned to your Raspberry Pi to be static from your router. That way, every time your Raspberry Pi is connected, it will be assigned the same IP. I actually did not know that you could set a static IP through OMV, so this is the method that I used.

• I've searched for a long time, and ended up on this thread everytime.

[SOLVED]
    if you've downloaded the OMV raspberry pi image of sourceforge, the OS is armbian.
    Use the config tool on the commandline: armbian-config
    There you can set the IP.

Another way to do it: assign the IP address in the DHCP server of your router, by MAC address.
    You'll have to reboot the raspberry pi (maybe even multiple times), before it picks up the new IP.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!