[RESOLVED] Run Filezilla on OMV

• Hello.

I'm also trying to find a solution to transfer files from a remote server directly to my omv box. I don't necessarily need a gui. I installed Filezilla but when I try to run it this pops up: "Error: Unable to initialize gtk, is DISPLAY set properly?"

Any ideas?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I moved this to its own thread and gave it a new title.

Are you trying to run filezilla from the command line when logged into the system or over putty? If so, that won't work without a few more things. To run it from the system itself, you need an X environment like xfde. To run it from putty with X forwarding, you still need the X/gtk libraries.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for moving it :)

I'm trying to run it over putty logged in as root. But I'm open to anything that doesn't require my normal pc do be on while transferring files. Right now I'm my windows machine with filezilla to download files from my remote server to my nas. But that is kinda annoying.

What would be the easier solution? What's the difference between running it from the system itself and from putty?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Depending on what you are transferring, I would just use ftp from the command line. FTP is pretty easy to use. You could login over ssh using putty. Start screen. Start your transfer. Ctrl A then D to get out of screen and logout. Log back in and type screen -r and you right back where you left off.

If you need a program with a gui, you have a couple options (definitely more).

- Install a desktop environment on OMV which basically makes it a desktop as well. Then, you can install and run filezilla on it.

- Install filezilla and dependencies on OMV and use X forwarding to run it on your normal pc (Windows, I'm guessing?).

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• For some reason ftp wasn't installed on my omv box. I installed it and it works so far. the only gripe I have with it that I can't download whole folders, but files only. That doesn't really cut it for me then.

What option would be best for me? I need to access my omv box remotely (so I can't connect a screen) and my windows machine only needs to initiate the transfer from the remote server to my omv box. If it needs to run while the files are transferring that doesn't really help me unfortunately :(

What should I do?

• Scary, use the standard Proftpd server (this is your /services/FTP) for your FTP server on OMV and use Filezilla on your client machines. I upload and download from my Windows machine to the FTP server with Filezilla. I have full desktops installed on my OMV's and have FIlezilla installed on my desktops but it's rarely used there. Just there cuz I can. 99.9 percent of time I'm using Filezilla from my Windows machines.

• Sorry, I'm not sure I get what you are saying. Just to be sure we are on the same page. Here's my situation again:

What I want is this: Transfer files via ftp from my remote server directly to my omv box. Without my windows machine having to be on during the transfer. So essentially: Server ---> omv box

What I have is this: Transfer files via ftp from my remote server to my omv box by using my windows machine running filezilla client. I mapped network drives from my omv box to do this. So essentially: Server ---> windows machine ---> omv box

I wanna eliminate the "middleman" being the windows machine in this scenario. It's worth noting that I can't install any additional software on the remote server. The only thing I have is ftp access.

Sorry to bother you so much with this, but I'm new to linux. Does anyone have a good solution for this and probably point me in the right direction as to where to get started?

• Ok here are best options.

1) Install debian squeeze and then install omv on top. Then you can install/use Filzilla on your OMV's desktop.

or

2) Learn how to use ftp in command line. It's pretty ez. You cd / into the folder you want to download to and
    then connect to the remote ftp server and get files you want.

Tell me what path you want to go and I give you more info.

• Ftp in command line would suffice. The only problem is that ftp seems to be unable to download folders and their subfolders and the respective content of those. Atleast that's what I understood from googling it.

• I'lll post here in a while. Bzy. This reallly sucks. They removed the command line from the newer packages of Filezilla. WhyTF they do that. I was looking for older post and it worked then but now it does not. BRB....

• Here is link to package you need to install:

http://pkgs.org/debian-squeeze…tp_0.17-23_amd64.deb.html

It's in the debian repo so do this to install:

apt-get install ftp

To start an ftp session in command line cd /to folder where you want to download, e.g.:
    cd /home
    ftp (use a -p switch if ftp server is passive, i.e. ftp -p)
    open 204.168.1.80 (ip of remote ftp server)

This should get you started: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix-ftp-commands/

Also, once you have started the FTP client in command line with "ftp" you can type "help" and hit enter
    to get list of all commands. You can type and enter "help get" to get info on the command get. So help
    and then any command from the list will give you some info on the command.

PS- if you have control over remote machine you might want to look at Rsync via SSH.

• Sorry, I was out of town for a couple of days. Thank you for all the replies :)

But as I pointed out earlier I only have FTP access to the server. So any alternatives might be a nice suggestion, but it just doesn't work for me.

@tekkbebe:
    Thanks again, but as I said earlier, you can't download complete folders + subfolders with just one command with the normal ftp command line client, atleast to my knowledge. That's why it's not really a solution for me. Is there anything else I can do?

• Zitat von "ScaryCanary"

Sorry, I was out of town for a couple of days. Thank you for all the replies :)

But as I pointed out earlier I only have FTP access to the server. So any alternatives might be a nice suggestion, but it just doesn't work for me.

If you only have FTP access, how did you install FTP (you said in an earlier post it was not installed and that you installed it)?

• Thank you. Sounds perfect!

Tom:
    I have full access to my omv box. But I only have ftp access to my remote server.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!