Tuning Samba for more speed 2

• In that respect, SMB has improved since OMV 2.x (still not as good as AFP but's marginal now)

Situation with macOS SMB clients is special and the challenges are outlined a bit here. Asides that check 'ok-ish' setup scores with pretty recent Samba and appropriate smb.conf settings there: https://github.com/openmediava…01#issuecomment-468270197

• I just set up an OMV server on a Rockpro64 and I'm getting write speeds around 50mb/s. I know the specific board is capable for double that speed but none of the aforementioned extra options seem to be working for me...

• I just set up an OMV server on a Rockpro64 and I'm getting write speeds around 50mb/s. I know the specific board is capable for double that speed but none of the aforementioned extra options seem to be working for me...

I have Rockpro64 as well, and I cannot get over 11 mb/s. And have tried everything in both of these threads. I recently got an eMMc to boot from so reinstalled everything before I would get speeds up to 80mb/s through Samba.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have Rockpro64 as well, and I cannot get over 11 mb/s.

Sounds like your system is connecting at 100mbps instead of gigabit. Check your cable and switch.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The extra options box on the smb/cifs settings tab.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Extra Options on server are not platform specific, hence should work on x86 too

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• Hello from Bucharest-Romania, newbie here.

Nice to meet all of you.

I am an old, almost-retired technical engineer, savvy for DIY, modding and tinkering, addicted audiophile...

I just installed OMV, bare metal, on an Intel minipc, and I attached one 4TB USB3 external USB drive, everything is running on Ethernet cat6 physical line, through a wireless bridge between two asus routers...

Configuration of harware OMV machine is:

Hardware Acer Veriton N4630G, 8GB DDR3 RAM

Hostname openmediavault.WORKGROUP

Version 6.0-34 (Shaitan)

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570S CPU @ 2.90GHz

Kernel Linux 5.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

I need this installation to function on SM v.1 because it is feeding audio and video files to my OPPO205 lapyer, which doesn”t know anything more tham SMB V.1. I managed to do this by adding to advanced settings, EXTRA OPTIONS in global secton of SMB/CIFS the following lines:

tlm auth = yes

client min protocol = NT1

server min protocol = NT1

This gave me a wired upload speed of 75-90 MB/s, from windows laptop with SMBv.1 enabled, totally satisfactory since I want primarily to be able to ADD more files to collection, from windows PC to OMV external USB shared disk.

Problem is that, reversely, COPYING from OMV ext. USB disk back to same windows 11 laptop PC gives only 2-5 MB/s, oscillating speed....

All write/copy is made through Windows 11/64bit native Explorer.

I tried to remedy this speed mismatch in all possible combinations, altogether, alternatively, one-by-one of the solutions found in the two relevant threads here, but wit no results. Even worse, write speed decreased from 75 to 25 – so I deleted everything from advanced SMB config, except for the main first three lines enforcing SMB V.1.

The various alternative settings tried already:

max protocol = smb2

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536

read raw = yes

write raw = yes

max xmit = 65535

dead time = 15

getwd cache = yes

socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072 TCP_NODELAY

min receivefile size = 2048

use sendfile = true

aio read size = 2048

aio write size = 2048

write cache size = 1024000

read raw = yes

write raw = yes

getwd cache = yes

oplocks = yes

max xmit = 65535

dead time = 15

large readwrite = yes

min receivefile size = 16384

write cache size = 524288

getwd cache = yes

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY

read raw = yes

write raw = yes

Please assist in order to get a more decent speed, it does not HAVE TO match the write speed on the disk, of which I am quite happy. Just a decent, practical speed...

I know hot to enter putty and ssh if necessary, but I am by no means any good in linux programming, so all I can is follow indications and written commands, not interpreting and troubleshooting.

Excuse me for posting this message twice, on both threads recommended in the CommonProblems main thread, at Problem #5: Samba is slow....

Cheers to each and everyone.

• attached one 4TB USB3 external USB drive

file system used?

through a wireless bridge between two asus routers.

what WIFI standard used? how many other WiFi routers are visible from neighbourhood?

wired upload speed of 75-90 MB/s, from windows laptop ... download only 2-5 MB/s, oscillating speed

Have you disabled WiFi on laptop to assure wire is actually used?

• Wireless AC bridge.

LAN functionality verified..

Proof is 80GB write to disk.

Problem is reverse, read fron disk and write on laptop (top, new alienware).

did you notice that my questions are not answered yet?

• Actually, and implicitly, two questions were answered.

Wireless AC bridge link, was answered, maybe not in many words.

LAN connection on PC, so no wireless, question answered.

Only wireless AC router in neighborhood. So no wifi clutter.

File system used is NTFS, on USB3 cable, on USB 3 port.

Anyway, today I tried again and I had good speeds, which I cannot really understand why.

Thank you for your kind answers and help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

today I tried again and I had good speeds, which I cannot really understand why.

AC is sensitive to interference from many things and its range is not all that great for high speeds. Were you closer to your router and/or less interference between it and the wireless device?

• It is a fixed position, 5 yards apart.

No wireless AC on 5GHz band interference, at all.

Proof was the upload speed. 90MB/s. Down, 2MB/s...

Just OMV as was setup.

I applied fixes, speed up was cut to 25MB/s. I deleted global SMB fixes, everything went up again for uplink.

Downlink, the same. I got pissed, cut the power and went to sleep. Not power OFF, just pwoer down, sudden.

Today after work, came and powered up, tried again (just to get pissed again) and, what do you know, everything was OK. Dunno why. If tomorrow everything is worse, again, I wouldn't know what to do. Except for pray.
    Cheers and thanks.

• AC is sensitive to interference from many things and its range is not all that great for high speeds. Were you closer to your router and/or less interference between it and the wireless device?

Thank you for your input. Spent last hours reading and I put together a complete written case of machine, install, results and a lot of testing results so maybe now you have a clear image of my setup and what is happening. I hoe there are several wrong setup things not hardware fault or incompatibilities. I attach pdf with complete writeup.

Analyzed 5GHz networs, extremely low interference, changed control channel of router-bridge, should be fine...

As both machines, mediaplayer and OMV BOTH feature same problems with SMB and FTP, it is clearly a bridge problem.

As this problem happens even when bridge bypassed with direct cable, problem is between router and laptop.

Router appears fine.

Laptop kinda seems culprit.... Lots of software, malwarebytes, antiransmware, antivirus, firewall...

Gee, need a clear mind from above to shine some light.

Thanks for your time and intention.OMV6-TESTING.pdf

LATER EDIT - It was from the SMB, I presume, since when I placed the same setup directly wired to the router and used NFS shares, the speed got to 108/112 MB/s write/read.

Thanks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!