Tuning Samba for more speed 2

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think downgrading is avoiding the problem with your system. My two VMs have proved that samba4 works. The shared folder error is not a good sign either. Did you try removing all samba shares, removing all shared folders, disable samba, recreate shared folders, enable samba, and recreate samba shares?

I have a feeling that if you downgrade to 3.6.6, it still won't work. If you insist: apt-get install samba=2:3.6.6-6+deb7u10

As for updating, I don't really like aptitude. I always update with omv-update followed by omv-aptclean.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I see that I'm not the only one got this error for Samba 3 in the past: 0x80070043
    This Samba 3 screw my system of three times. Good thing that I have a backup.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Well, downgrading samba severely messed up the the system! It uninstalled way too many things, and did not downgrade all dependencies!

Have fixed dependency issues, and are back on "2:4.1.17+dfsg-1~bpo70+1" to avoid repo-hell!

Played around a bit more, but still same issue!

Have tried removing, and re-adding the shares previously, but since you also suggested it, I wanted to thoroughly clean them once more, and then reboot before re-adding them, but ran into an issue I do not seem to get myself out of!

I get an error #4000, and even after reboot, the GUI throws this at me! Tried removing the service (update-rc.d smb disable && update-rc.d smbd remove), but that did not fix it either!

Ideas?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would just re-install. Disconnect your array. Install. reconnect array. Mount and it should be good to try again.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Ok, did a full reinstall of OS, samba mounts work again, even after kernel update.Then I updated the samba version, and the issue is back!

Time for another re-install I guess.

Will stay on the older version of samba....

• Offizieller Beitrag

Very strange.... I was able to get samba4 to work on two systems. It must be something in your configuration that I am missing.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know. I used all the defaults for my testing but my later tests attempted to duplicate your config. Never had an issue with any.

• Could it be file-privileges, mount rules (fstab) etc?

Thanks for supporting! Appreciate the help in these forums!

Do however think it would benefit you guys if the Wiki pages were a bit better updated with best practices, recommendations, guides etc. this would take a lot of work off you moderators hands.

I almost never find anything in the wikis, and almost always resort to searching in forum posts, which are often scattered in several threads, and sometimes are long to read to get minor details. Often I have to resort to starting a new thread.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hard to say.

Of course, it would be better if wiki pages were better. We just need people to do it. Personally, I think my time is better spent on plugins since non-developers can update the wiki.

The forum usually has the answer for about 95% of questions. I search the forum using google. Saves quite a bit of time. I have no problem with a new thread if there seems to be a little bit of effort to search before asking. We get a lot of questions that apply to Debian more than OMV specifically.

• Don't know if this is any help, but do you login on windows 10 with a PIN code? If so, try changing that to a normal password (in account settings) and try to access the share again.

• I tried upgrading to v4 according to:

Bash
    apt-get -t wheezy-backports install samba=2:4.1.17+dfsg-1~bpo70+1

removed the extra options in OMV settings.
    Then restarted smbd.

Windows 10 is now reporting smb3 instead of smb1.5
    and everytihng seems to be responding beautifully..

I haven't readded any extra options...

I was using:

• Did you set any exotic share permissions?

• Hard to say.

Of course, it would be better if wiki pages were better. We just need people to do it. Personally, I think my time is better spent on plugins since non-developers can update the wiki.

The forum usually has the answer for about 95% of questions. I search the forum using google. Saves quite a bit of time. I have no problem with a new thread if there seems to be a little bit of effort to search before asking. We get a lot of questions that apply to Debian more than OMV specifically.

Understand, and agree (time better spent on plugins). When searching for something someone asks for, maybe add it at that point to the wiki as well as the thread? Should be minimally extra effort or? I do it this way for a MacBook wiki we have at work, and then point it out in the thread to move behavior towards using the wiki first, and forum second. Once the wiki and behavior to use it is there, it it is easier for non-developers to add/modify moving forward. It is about getting a change of mindset to get people to use the wiki, once they do, they start seeing the value of it.

Don't know if this is any help, but do you login on windows 10 with a PIN code? If so, try changing that to a normal password (in account settings) and try to access the share again.

Nope, hardly ever use Windows, my house consists of numerous Linux and OS X machines, only have one Widows install for the rare occasion when something is windows only. Try to avoid the dark side!

Did you set any exotic share permissions?

Nope, on my second try after reinstall, I had no deviations from the default config!

• Offizieller Beitrag

That sounds great but I don't like/want to do wiki stuff. I have to add info to wikis at work that way. Sorry if I don't want to add more effort to what I am already doing. I just like to spend 60 secs answering a few posts and then go back to what I was doing. Someone could go through new posts, summarize, and post on wiki too.

• I found this post as I was searching to improve my SMB speed.

My solution was to force MacOS to use SMB2 protocol by adding the missing file /etc/nsmb.conf with the following:

Code
    [default]
    signing_required=no
    smb_neg=smb2_only

I also added the following to the OMV SMB/CIFS extra options page (though not sure they make any difference):

Code
    min protocol = SMB2
    max protocol = SMB2
    max xmit = 65535
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=65535 SO_RCVBUF=65535
    read raw = yes
    write raw = yes
    max connections = 65535
    max open files = 65535

These are are improvements on SMB shares:

Code
    Before   After
                ---------------
    Writes:     46MB/s   77MB/s
    Reads:      54MB/s   86MB/s

Still not as good as AFP (via Netatalk) where I get writes of 80MB/s and reads of 96MB/s.

If I update Samba to version 4.x, will I see further improvements ???

@odinb, you mentioned that your file /etc/nsmb.conf was missing but did you try adding one on your Mac ?

HP Microserver N40L; OMV 6.1.1-1 (Shaitan)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von macnb () aus folgendem Grund: minor edit

• @macnb,

Is this tune settings improve the speed for Windows clients as well ?

I can't even remember how I did those measurements but it was not on Windows but Mac OS (El Capitan).
    I don't use Windows.
    Also that test would have been on OMX 2.x

I'm now on OMV 4.x and did a quick test using Blackmagic Disk Test (yes it can test networked drives).
    Default SMB/CIFS gives me 67MB/s Read & 81MB/s Write speeds

My AFP connection to the same sharedfolder gives me 69MB/s read & 89MB/s write speeds.

All on a gigabit LAN cable.

In that respect, SMB has improved since OMV 2.x (still not as good as AFP but's marginal now).

HP Microserver N40L; OMV 6.1.1-1 (Shaitan)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!