Network Interfaces are inconsistent

• Hi guys,

I am facing a very strange issue.

Today I have started my NAS and it wouldn't be reachable (neither the web interface nor smb nor Plex).
    I have rebooted the server once more (an HP Gen 8 MicroServer) and still no client would be able to connect.

At that point I have restored the OS from a backup (I clone the OS drive weekly).
    Now I do have network connectivity but I am seeing very strange behaviours for eth0.

On boot I can see the following.

Code
    Mon Aug  1 19:48:08 2016: Setting up resolvconf.../etc/resolvconf/update.d/libc: Warning: /etc/resolv.conf is not a symbolic link to /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf
    Mon Aug  1 19:48:09 2016: done.Mon Aug  1 19:48:09 2016: Configuring network interfaces.../etc/resolvconf/update.d/libc: Warning: /etc/resolv.conf is not a symbolic link to /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf
    Mon Aug  1 19:48:09 2016: RTNETLINK answers: File exists
    Mon Aug  1 19:48:09 2016: Failed to bring up eth0.Mon Aug  1 19:48:09 2016: done.

The same error, though, is not logged for eth1 (configured in the same way - static IP, different IP address in the same range).

If I try to run ifup & ifdown for eth0 I see the following:

Instead, if I do the same for eth1 I get a totally different output:

Then again, checking the ifstate file, it seems eth0 is not listed, adding it manually or removing the file, though does not seem to make any change.

Code
    root@OMV:~# cat /etc/network/run/ifstate
    lo=lo
    eth1=eth1
    root@OMV:~#

I can't see anything wrong on /etc/network/interfaces.

I have also tried disabling and re-enabling eth0 from the WebUI (bearing in mind that the UI can be reached on the IP associated to the misbehaving interface).
    I have tried to make amendments (as well as delete (/etc/network/run/ifstate) and reboot. Still I can't get out of this situation.

Does anyone have any idea/suggestion?

Thanks,
    Tommy

HP MicroServer Gen 8
    HP DL360e Gen 8 + HP StorageWorks D2700

HP DL380e Gen 8 + HP StorageWorks D2600

• Offizieller Beitrag

You shouldn't have a gateway specified on both adapters if they are on same network.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• In /etc/network/interfaces you have:

iface eth1 inet static
    address 192.168.1.15
    gateway 192.168.1.254
    netmask 255.255.255.0

iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.10
    gateway 192.168.1.254
    netmask 255.255.255.0

This is an ambiguous and unacceptable configuration.

You can not have two (or more) interfaces in the same machine that belong to the same network, that network being 192.168.1.0/24

You will have to make a decision and renumber one of those interfaces to be in some other network.

Perhaps if you explained what you are trying to accomplish by having two interfaces in the machine, some meaningful suggestions could be made.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hi @ryecoaaron,

Thanks for the hint. I have just tried removing the gateway from one and the other NIC, one at a time and that seems to resolve the problem.

That is quite odd as I have been running with 2 NIC's with the gateway configured on both for some time (more than an year) and have never had problems with ifdown and ifup.

Thanks again.

Kudos to you as you seem to know the answer to all the issue I have faced so far ;)

Thanks,
    Tommy

HP MicroServer Gen 8

• Hi @gderf,

Not doing anything special.

I just happen to have a server with 2 1Gbps NIC's so I have configured both of them as if I have to move data to/from 2 clients I can achieve better performances (1Gbps per client).
    Also, this is helpful as, worst case scenario, should one NIC die, I can always reach the server on the other one.

I was looking to team them up but the router (a BT Home Hub 5) would not support teaming.

Regards,
    Tommy

HP MicroServer Gen 8

• is that not something ILO can do for you?

5x HP Microserver Gen8, 4x with OMV. (3x OMV4 and 1x OMV5)

(Busy with migrating to 1 NAS) Puffer: 4x3TB RAID5; Nemo:4x3TB RAID5; Shark: 4x2TB RAID5 and Whale: 4x10TB UNIONFS with SNAPRAID

• Hi,

even if your router does not support bonding/teaming like 802.3ad (LACP), you can use other bonding modes on your NAS, i think. Since on the router works in the first place a switch, you can gain a speedup with modes 0,2,5&6 - just try it ;)

Especially mode 5 does "not need any special switch config" (source)

Sc0rp

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!