My first NAS

• Finally yesterday I assembled my first home-nas :thumbup:
    I chose these components:

• Thermaltake Core V1 Case
    • Mainboard Asrock J3160-itx
    • 8 GB Ram (2x4GB DDR3L 1600Mhz Kingston)
    • PSU Corsair VS350
    • SSD 32GB Transcend (system disk)
    • HD WD Red 3 TB (only one for now since I finished the budget, but for Christmas I'll buy another one so i can do Raid 1)
    • HD 1TB Seagate (i already have it, it's for incremental backup of some important documents and photos)

I'll use it as SMB shares, web server and plex media server for my LG tv.

Today i will install OMV 3 (i've tested it for 3 weeks in VM). :D

(Sorry for bad english!)

• Nice machine! Looks good!
    Just one advice, I tried with RAID1 and I failed and almost lost loads of data. Since RAID is not a Backup solution, and having in mind that you have not built any "enterprise-ñevel" NAS, I would go with RSnapshot if you need redundancy. Call me paranoid but I don't trust any RAID with less than 3 or 4 disks.

Maybe you are planning to use RAID to speed up reads or you don't have very valuable data in those disks. I just wanted to give my opinion on RAID.

Greetings
    Guillem

DISCLAIMER: :!: I'm not a native English speaker, I'm sorry if I don't explain as good as you would want. :!:

My NAS:
    Always the latest OMV Erasmus running on an AMD Sempron 3850 @1.3GHz with 4.9.0 Backports Kernel
    with 120GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO for OpenMediaVault & 2x500GB Primary Data HDD + 1TB Secondary HDD for Backup & 2TB USB 3.0 External HDD for offline backup

Plugin list:
    Flash Memory, Locate, OMV-Extras.org, RSnapshot, Sensors, Syncthing, SMB/CIFS, SSH, USB Backup
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zitat

The Schrödinger's code is that one which is going to work and it's full of bugs at the same time; until you test it, you won't be able to determine it.

• Nice machine! Looks good!
    Just one advice, I tried with RAID1 and I failed and almost lost loads of data. Since RAID is not a Backup solution, and having in mind that you have not built any "enterprise-ñevel" NAS, I would go with RSnapshot if you need redundancy. Call me paranoid but I don't trust any RAID with less than 3 or 4 disks.

Maybe you are planning to use RAID to speed up reads or you don't have very valuable data in those disks. I just wanted to give my opinion on RAID.

Greetings
    Guillem

I've another disk where i backup all important files with rsnapshot (incremental 7 days backup)

• I've another disk where i backup all important files with rsnapshot (incremental 7 days backup)

Way to go for me. Seems better now :thumbup:

DISCLAIMER: :!: I'm not a native English speaker, I'm sorry if I don't explain as good as you would want. :!:

My NAS:
    Always the latest OMV Erasmus running on an AMD Sempron 3850 @1.3GHz with 4.9.0 Backports Kernel
    with 120GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO for OpenMediaVault & 2x500GB Primary Data HDD + 1TB Secondary HDD for Backup & 2TB USB 3.0 External HDD for offline backup

Plugin list:
    Flash Memory, Locate, OMV-Extras.org, RSnapshot, Sensors, Syncthing, SMB/CIFS, SSH, USB Backup
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zitat

The Schrödinger's code is that one which is going to work and it's full of bugs at the same time; until you test it, you won't be able to determine it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!