OMV 2.2.1 doesn't start on Raspberry Pi after reboot

• Hello all,

I had to reboot my small print / scan server running OMV 2.2 (from memory, I can't remember exactly). The Raspberry Pi runs off a USB HDD and has a RTC added.

However after reboot, only the red LED (PWR) is lit, and the green LED (ACT) is very dimly lit. No LAN-related lights are to be seen.

I connected the RPi to a TV, but no signal comes out of the HDMI port. I disconnected the HDD just in case, but same result, no picture from the HDMI port.

What can be the cause of the issue?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Normally, when the SD card fails, this is the reaction. Did you have flashmemory installed?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• flashmemory plugin was always installed, indeed, as this OMV version is taken from OMV's official Sourceforge page. Is it a known occurence an SD card fails without a warning?

When the RPi uses a USB HDD as a main drive, is the SD card only used as a boot helper? Or does it hold some custom files that may not be easily replaceable?

I put the card in the Mac and nothing shows, but not sure if I should trust it or not. This microSD (Lexar 8GB Class 4) card sits in a SD card adapter, and it wouldn't be the first time I have issues with this adapter, even though Chinese seem to only sell one model. Other past issues include: inability to add shared printer, was never able to run forked-daapd (no one experienced it before?) and very frequent but unspecific "Communication failure" appearing in dialogs in the Web UI.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Was it a new SD card? While the flashmemory plugin helps a lot, it doesn't eliminate all writes (especially if the device is swapping from low memory). An old SD card wouldn't make it long.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Hi
    The SD card is the kernel boot is responsible
    but also important that the HDD is also good, and I use an SSD.
    This is a empehlung from me!

Die SD Karte ist für das Kernel booten verantwortlich ist
    aber auch wichtig das die HDD auch gut ist, und verwende ich eine SSD.
    Das ist eine empehlung von mir!

https://github.com/Wolf2000Pi

OMV6 Hewlett-Packard HPE-411at - Intel Core i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz - 16GB Ram

Proxmox omv 7 sandworm Dell OptiPlex 7050 i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz - 32GB Ram (Test!!!!)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Writing images to SD cards is hard on them. I got through SD cards quickly making and testing images.

• Writing images to SD cards is hard on them. I got through SD cards quickly making and testing images.

How many image writes can an SD card stand, approximately? I thought these flash cards had an expected lifetime of at least a decade.

And the concern about the HDD being possibly bad remains: how would I test it properly?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Depends on the SD card. They might last a decade when used as they were intended - in a camera. I have a stack of dead cards from building RPi and Odroid images.

I don't know what you mean by "bad remains".

• More simply put: how would I test this USB HDD to make sure it's completely sane, especially in the system partition?

Right now, since OMV suddenly failed, I assume that nothing on the HDD was corrupted, and only the SD card was. If I put a new image on a new SD card, how would I re-use the settings stored on the HDD?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I doubt the USB hard drive is failing but you can run SMART tests on it from the OMV web interface.

You would have to re-enter the settings.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Good point. I never use usb hard drives. So, I honestly don't know if smart works across usb.

Yes.

• Small inexpensive computers like the RPi make decent light-duty servers. I guess OMV was never made thinking about these, it just "happens" to be working mostly properly on them. At least documenting its limitations would help (i.e. forked-daapd not working, don't install php5-pam (not sure of the package's name), recommendations about RTC and HDD, etc.)

I plugged the HDD to a Windows PC running HDD Sentinel, since this program sometimes can read SMART parameters through USB (chipset permitting). No such luck here, the Initio chip doesn't allow low-level communication with the PATA drive inside. I don't have any PATA-compatible computer, so I guess I'm out of luck trying to read the SMART parameters.

Transferring an existing OMV installation from SD card to USB HDD
    To push the system partition from the SD card to the HDD, I used the simple dd command:
    dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p2 of=/dev/sda1
    Synced the disks,
    sync
    then mounted the partition,
    nano /mnt/etc/fstab
    and edited /etc/fstab:

with
    /dev/sda1 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1

and edited /boot/cmdline.txt, replacing /dev/mmcbl0p2 with /dev/sda1

Issuing command

readlink /dev/root

returns

sda1

Should I assume that /dev/sda1 partition is now being used as root?

I then expanded the filesystem with
    resize2fs /dev/sda1
    as I didn't do it when I first booted off the SD card.

and rebooted.

Setting up the RTC
    I need to reset it, but unfortunately I can't find any up to date information.
    I just get "Cannot access the hardware clock by any known method"

What is the current and correct way to install the RTC in OMV?

Retrieving existing media partition on the HDD
    Currently, the sda3 partition on the HDD holds all the shared files and folders. However, only the media partition from the SD card appears in the Web inteface.

How would I make this /dev/sda3 partition mounted and available from the Web interface?

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV runs fine on RPis (pretty sure they weren't designed to be a server either) and other arm boards. Maybe not as well on an RPi1 which is the only RPi that has php5-pam problem (which is documented in the readme where you download the OMV RPi image). The forked-daapd problem is probably an RPi1 problem as well. Never use it and it is pretty much an unmaintained package.

I thought the rtc thread was up to date for OMV 1.x and 2.x. It probably doesn't work with OMV 3.x but that hasn't officially been released anyway.

• This is a Pi Model B, the one with the video RCA connector and Ethernet port. Not sure if this is a RPi 2 or RPi 1. Currently the user has no way of knowing which packages are unmaintained, especially when the maintainer is an active admin on the forum.

Where is this official RTC thread? I couldn't find a way to search the forum efficiently.

The /dev/sda3 partition is mounted, but for some reason, OMV only sees the media partition from the SD card. How do I make it appear along the SD "media" partition, so I can select the shared folder on it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

As wolf2000 said, the model b is an RPi1.

I said forked-daapd isn't maintained. openmediavault-forkeddaapd (the plugin) is maintained. No one in the forum maintains forked-daapd.

I use google to search the forum. RTC thread

No idea why that filesystem doesn't show up for use with shared folders.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!